New York Groove
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
|"New York Groove"|
|Single by Ace Frehley|
|from the album Ace Frehley|
|Recorded||Plaze Sound Studios,
New York City: 1978
|Label||Casablanca NB-941 (US)|
|Producer(s)||Eddie Kramer and Ace Frehley|
|Ace Frehley singles chronology|
The song was a number nine hit in the UK, and subsequently reached number seven in Germany.
Ace Frehley version
Ace Frehley, best known as the lead guitarist of Kiss, recorded "New York Groove" for his first solo album, Ace Frehley, released in 1978; the album was released concurrently with solo albums from the other three Kiss members. Released as a single, the song made it to No. 13 on the Billboard Hot 100 late that year, by far the highest charting single from any of the four solo albums. Frehley once told Rolling Stone magazine that his unique take on the song was inspired by his experience with hookers in New York City's Times Square in the 1970s.
"New York Groove" was performed on Kiss's tours of 1979 and 1980, and became a staple of Frehley's shows during his solo tours in the 1980s and 90s, and again during the Reunion Tour when he rejoined Kiss in 1996.
A live version of the song can be found on the Japanese version of the 1996 Kiss album You Wanted the Best, You Got the Best!! (and the U.S. vinyl version) recorded in Sydney, Australia in 1980, which would also make it one of the few live recordings released by the group to feature longtime drummer Eric Carr.
"New York Groove" is the opening track on the 2012 Sweet album New York Connection. This version fuses Jay-Z and Alicia Keys' song "Empire State of Mind" (another ode to New York city), into the chorus.
The Ace Frehley recording appears in the following films:
- A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006)
- The documentary Inside Job (2010)
- Top Cat: The Movie (2011)
- Blood Ties (2013)
"New York Groove" has also been used on television:
- It was played at the end of the 10th episode of season 4 of the TV show Entourage.
- It was the opening theme for the first two seasons of the American cable television reality series NY Ink.
- It has been played on USA Network in a promo for the series White Collar.
AT&T also used the Hello version of "New York Groove" in a 2012 commercial.
- "Sweet Return With New Album ‘New York Connection’Read More: Sweet Return With New Album ‘New York Connection’". February 5, 2012. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
The movie "Blood Ties" did use the song in the opening but they stated the scene as 1974 when the song did not come out till 1978.