New York Public Interest Research Group
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Nonprofit & Activism|
|Headquarters||New York State, United States|
|Blair Horner, Gene Russianoff, Russ Haven|
|Revenue||3,404,320 United States dollar (2016)|
The New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG) is a New York statewide student-directed, non-partisan, not for profit political organization. It has existed since 1973. Its current executive director is Blair Horner and its founding director was Donald K. Ross.
NYPIRG is directed by a student-run and student-elected Board of Directors. Any issue that NYPIRG works on, or stance it takes, must be approved by its student board of directors. Smitha Varghese, student of Queens College, is the current chairperson of NYPIRG's Board of Directors. NYPIRG is one of the largest of the Public Interest Research Groups, which were inspired by Ralph Nader in the 1970s, and operate at the state level. After leaving Columbia University, former President of the United States Barack Obama worked at NYPIRG at its City College Chapter.
NYPIRG works on a variety of socioeconomic issues such as college affordability, consumer protection, sustainable energy, government accountability, hunger & homelessness, public transportation in New York City, and voter rights.
The focus of NYPIRG's program is the campus chapters. Campus chapters exist at schools in the State University of New York (SUNY) City University of New York (CUNY), and two private colleges (Pratt Institute and Syracuse University). The chapters are funded by activity fees which are voted on by students, and/or determined by student governments.
- Binghamton University
- Borough of Manhattan Community College
- Bronx Community College
- Brooklyn College
- Buffalo State College
- City College of New York
- SUNY Cortland
- Hunter College
- Nassau Community College
- SUNY New Paltz
- New York City College of Technology
- Pratt Institute
- SUNY Purchase
- Queens College
- Queensborough Community College
- College of Staten Island
- Syracuse University - SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
- "About Us". NYPIRG Financial Information. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- "NYPIRG Students Home". www.nypirgstudents.org. Retrieved 2019-10-18.
- Nader, Ralph & Ross, Donald. Action for Change. Penguin Books, 1973 (rev. ed.)
- November 9, JASON FINK amNewYork; Pm, 2008 7:43. "Obama stood out, even during brief 1985 NYPIRG job". Newsday.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "NYPIRG Issues". www.nypirg.org.
- "Contact us | NYPIRG | New York Public Interest Research Group". www.nypirg.org.
- "NYPIRG: On Campus". 2016-08-16. Archived from the original on 2016-08-16. Retrieved 2019-10-18.