New York Public Service Commission
The New York Public Service Commission is the public utilities commission of the New York state government that regulates and oversees the electric, gas, water, and telecommunication industries in New York as part of the Department of Public Service. The department's regulations are compiled in title 16 of the New York Codes, Rules and Regulations. The current chairman of the Commission and chief executive of the Department is Audrey Zibelman, who was named on September 3, 2013.
The Public Service Commission consist of five members, each appointed by the Governor of New York with the advice and consent of the New York State Senate for a term of six years or to complete an unexpired term of a member. A commissioner is designated as chairman by the Governor to serve in such capacity at the pleasure of the Governor or until their term as commissioner expires. No more than three commissioners may be members of the same political party. The Public Service Commission is within the Department of Public Service, and the chairman is the chief executive officer of the Department.
The Public Service Commission was established in 1907.
Reforming Energy Vision
In 2014 the Commission initiated the Reforming Energy Vision  to encourage efficiency, renewable generation and carbon reduction.
As part of the initiative a symposium was held on May 22, 2014. Presentations  are here.
In 2016, the Public Service Commission adopted a Clean Energy Standard, to assist in achieving the state's target of obtaining 50% of its electricity from renewable and nuclear sources by 2030, which will see customer bills increase to support these sources. A particular aim was to support three nuclear plants, Ginna, James A. FitzPatrick and Nine Mile Point that had become uneconomic; the support for nuclear is expected to cost $1 billion in the first two years.
- New York energy law
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA)
- Long Island Power Authority (LIPA)
- New York Power Authority (NYPA)
- New York Independent System Operator (NYISO)
- Consolidated Edison (Con Edison)
- National Grid plc
- Consolidated Edison v. Public Service Commission
- Public Service Law § 4
- Public Service Law § 3
- Campbell, Jon (1 August 2016). "NY OKs energy plan with nuclear bailout". Democrat and Chronicle. Rochester. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- Campbell, Jon (6 March 2017). "Decision-makers skip N.Y. nuclear bailout hearing". Democrat and Chronicle. Rochester. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- New York State Department of Public Service
- Department of Public Service in the New York Codes, Rules and Regulations