New York State Public High School Athletic Association
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||8 Airport Park Blvd.
Latham, New York 12110, United States
|768 high schools|
|Robert J. Zayas|
|Affiliations||National Federation of State High School Associations|
The New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA) is the governing body of interscholastic sports for most public schools in New York outside of New York City. The organization was created in 1923, after a predecessor organization called the New York State Public High School Association of Basketball Leagues began in 1921 to bring consistency to eligibility rules and to conduct state tournaments. It consists of 768 member high schools from the state divided into 11 numbered sections. It is a member of the National Federation of State High School Associations as well as the New York State Federation of Secondary School Athletic Associations.
The NYSPHSAA acknowledges and holds championships for over 30 sports throughout 3 seasons: Fall, Winter and Spring.
- Section 1: Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, Westchester Counties
- Section 2: Capital District
- Section 3: Central New York
- Section 4: Southern Tier
- Section 5: Genesee Valley
- Section 6: Western New York
- Section 7: Champlain Area
- Section 8: Nassau County
- Section 9: Orange, Sullivan, Ulster Counties
- Section 10: St. Lawrence Area
- Section 11: Suffolk County
Each section is further divided into classes, by school enrollment size. The classes are, from largest schools to smallest, AA, A, B, C, and D, though the classifications and enrollment numbers for each classification vary by sport. In wrestling, separate sectional and state tournaments are held for Division I and Division II.
Typically, each section holds a sectional championship tournament in each sport and class. The sectional champions then meet first in regional competition, then in state competition, to determine the state champion in each class.
- New York State Public High School Athletic Association Boys Basketball Championships
- Public Schools Athletic League
- New York state high school boys basketball championships
-  nysphsaa.org, accessed 15-JAN-2008.
- http://www.nysphsaa.org/AboutNYSPHSAA/History.aspx - accessed April 6, 2015
-  nysphsaa.orghtml/HANDBOOK/MembershipPages.pdf, accessed 15-JAN-2008.
-  Accessed 30-MAR-2015
-  NYSPHSAA membership list, Accessed 30-MAR-2015