New York State Route 271
Map of Niagara County in western New York with NY 271 highlighted in red
|Maintained by NYSDOT and Niagara County|
|Length:||3.21 mi (5.17 km)|
|Existed:||1930 – present|
|South end:||NY 31 / NY 31E in Middleport|
|North end:||NY 104 in Hartland|
New York State Route 271 (NY 271) is a 3.21-mile (5.17 km) north–south state highway in eastern Niagara County, New York, in the United States. It primarily serves as Middleport's Main Street, connecting NY 31 in the south to NY 104 in the north. The southernmost portion of NY 271 is concurrent with NY 31E. At State Street, NY 31E splits off to follow the Erie Canal while NY 271 continues north on Main Street. North of Middleport, NY 271 traverses an area of the county dominated by farmland. NY 271 originally extended as far south as NY 93 when it was assigned as part of the 1930 renumbering of state highways in New York; however, it was truncated to Middleport in the early 1940s.
NY 271 begins concurrent with NY 31E at an intersection with NY 31 in the village of Middleport. The routes head north on Main Street, passing two large residential blocks and the Middleport post office before entering the village's central business district. Here, NY 31E leaves NY 271 at State Street to head east toward Medina while NY 271 continues north across the Erie Canal to the northern outskirts of the village. At Mill Street, the first street that NY 271 meets after crossing the canal, ownership and maintenance of the route shifts from the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) to Niagara County. As the route leaves Middleport for the town of Hartland, the homes become more spread out as the residential areas give way to open farmland. Eventually, the homes completely give way to farmland, and NY 271 serves only a small handful of farms before it ends at a junction with NY 104 (Ridge Road) about 3 miles (5 km) north of Middleport.
NY 271 was assigned as part of the 1930 renumbering of state highways in New York. It initially began at an intersection with NY 93 in southern Royalton and followed Wolcottsville Road, Griswold Street, and Griswold Road north to NY 3 (modern NY 31) in Middleport. The route joined NY 3 here, following it northeast through the village on Telegraph Road and Main Street. NY 3 left NY 271 at State Street (modern NY 31E), while NY 271 split from Main Street at Mill Street to follow the latter west out of Middleport. The highway turned one final time at Carmen Road, following it north to a junction with Ridge Road (then NY 31 and now NY 104), where NY 271 ended. NY 271 was truncated on its southern end to Telegraph Road in Middleport in the early 1940s.
The portion of NY 271 north of Mill Street was rerouted in the mid-1970s to continue north on North Main Street and Stone Road to NY 104. On September 1, 1990, ownership and maintenance of this section of NY 271 was transferred from the state of New York to Niagara County as part of a highway maintenance swap between the two levels of government. NY 271 is now maintained by Niagara County as County Route 45 (CR 45) from Mill Street to the Middleport village line and CR 26 from the Middleport village line to NY 104. Most of NY 271's former routing south of Middleport is also maintained by Niagara County as CR 122 (Wolcottville Road) and as CR 905 (Griswold Road north of NY 77). The piece of NY 271's old routing along Carmen Road is part of CR 131 in Hartland and part of CR 139 in Royalton.
The entire route is in Niagara County.
|Middleport||0.00||0.00||NY 31 / NY 31E||Southern terminus of NY 31E / NY 271 overlap; western terminus of NY 31E|
|0.51||0.82||NY 31E east||Northern terminus of NY 31E / NY 271 overlap|
|Hartland||3.21||5.17||NY 104||Hamlet of Jeddo|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Road Map of New York (Map). Cartography by General Drafting. Standard Oil Company of New York. 1930.
- "2008 Traffic Volume Report for New York State" (PDF). New York State Department of Transportation. June 16, 2009. p. 202. Retrieved February 1, 2010.
- Microsoft; Nokia (June 15, 2015). "overview map of NY 271" (Map). Bing Maps. Microsoft. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- Medina Digital Raster Quadrangle (Map). 1:24,000. New York State Department of Transportation. 1996. Retrieved May 28, 2009.
- New York (Map). Cartography by General Drafting. Esso. 1940.
- New York with Pictorial Guide (Map). Cartography by General Drafting. Esso. 1942.
- New York and New Jersey Tourgide Map (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company. Gulf Oil Company. 1974.
- New York (Map) (1977–78 ed.). Cartography by General Drafting. Exxon. 1977.
- New York State Legislature. "New York State Highway Law § 341". Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- Wolcottsville Digital Raster Quadrangle (Map). 1:24,000. New York State Department of Transportation. 1996. Retrieved February 9, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New York State Route 271.|
- New York State Route 271 at New York Routes