New Zealand Automobile Association
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Formation||Auckland, New Zealand; 1903|
|Headquarters||99 Albert Street, Auckland, New Zealand|
|1.25 million (2008) |
The New Zealand Automobile Association (NZAA or AA) is an incorporated society that provides a range of services to its members including free motoring advice, breakdown services, vehicle repairs, driver licensing, driver training, travel maps, accommodation guides and bookings, insurance and finance. The AA has more than 1.4 million members throughout New Zealand.
The AA is also an advocate for creating a better and safer driving environment for New Zealanders. It has been supporting kiwi drivers since 1903 making it the largest and oldest motoring club in New Zealand.
In May 1903, Dr George Thomas Humphrey de Clive-Lowe invited about 20 new motoring enthusiasts to consider his germ of an idea to start an automobile club. First in Auckland, followed by Canterbury a few months later, motoring clubs began to dot the country with at least 15 different automobile associations registered by 1930. During the 1980s, 17 district automobile associations began to merge to form the New Zealand Automobile Association and became the country’s largest club. The final merger was achieved in 1991 under the leadership of the present Chief Executive, Brian Gibbons. Products and services diversified through new joint venture companies, franchise operations and business partnerships during the 1990s.
The AA is a member of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) through which its members can receive reciprocal road services in a number of countries across the world.
Products and services
- AA Roadservice provides 24/7 national breakdown and roadside assistance. Callouts can be made through the AA’s website, phone or through the AA Roadservice app. The AA attends nearly half a million requests every year.
- AA Battery Service is a mobile battery service that can replace batteries on the spot in most areas.
- AA Auto Glass can assess windscreen chip and crack damage on the spot in most parts of New Zealand. It provides temporary side window replacements, chip repair, and windscreen replacement services.
- Motoring Services has a range of products and services including AA Auto Centres and AA Auto Service & Repair sites, AA Licensed Repairers, AA Vehicle Testing stations and nationwide Vehicle Inspection services. Vehicle history and vehicle valuation reports are also offered. The AA also shares up-to-date car reviews, vehicle safety ratings and motoring advice.
- AA Motoring Affairs works with the government, industry and media to represent the interests of motorists and its Members. The AA is a voice of support for the mobility of Members and the motoring public.
- AA Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agents enable Members, motorists and customers throughout the country to access services such as Membership joins and renewals, travel guides and maps, driver and vehicle licensing requirements, international driving permits, passport photos and Inland Revenue Department applications.
- Driver Education and Driver Training for both new learner drivers and also experienced motorists through a range of driving courses. The AA also has more than 100 driving instructors throughout the country.
- AA Traveller provides a wide range of travel services and free information available through AA Centres, agents and the website. Every year more than three million maps and accommodation guides are published. Reservations can be made through the website with special rates for Members. Travel insurance is also available.
- AA Smartfuel is the AA's loyalty programme and enables motorists to earn fuel discounts by swiping their AA Membership card or an AA Smartfuel card at participating retailers, then redeem the accumulated fuel discounts at any participating BP or Caltex service station in New Zealand.
- AA Insurance offers insurance options from car insurance to home and contents. AA Members receive discounts on most insurance policies.
- AA Life offers a range of life insurance options including accidental death, term life and funeral cover.
- AA Finance provides financing for vehicle purchases including car and motorbike loans as well as boat and leisure financing and also business finance and savings and investment options.
- "Over 100 years of motoring history". NZAA. Retrieved 2008-05-21.
- "$60 million given away in AA Rewards over 10 years". New Zealand Automobile Association. 16 June 2008. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- Association Profile, NZAA. "NZAA Association Profile" (PDF). New Zealand Automobile Association. NZAA. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New Zealand Automobile Association.|