New Zealand Council of Trade Unions
|Full name||New Zealand Council of Trade Unions|
|Key people||Richard Wagstaff, President |
Melissa Ansell-Bridges, Secretary
|Office location||Education House, Wellington, New Zealand|
The New Zealand Council of Trade Unions (NZCTU or CTU) is a national trade union centre in New Zealand. The NZCTU represents 360,000 workers, and is the largest democratic organisation in New Zealand.
It was formed in 1987 by the merger of the New Zealand Federation of Labour (NZFL or FOL) and the Combined State Unions (CSU).
The NZCTU is closely associated with the Labour Party. While there is no formal link between the two, some unions are formally affiliated to the Labour Party, and the President of the NZCTU speaks at the party's annual conference.
The NZCTU is affiliated with the International Trade Union Confederation.
- 2015–Present: Richard Wagstaff, former PSA national secretary
- 2007–2015: Helen Kelly, former TEU national secretary
- 1999–2007: Ross Wilson
- 1987–1999: Ken Douglas
New Zealand Federation of Labour
- 2019 - Present: Melissa Ansell-Bridges, former Equity Director
- 2015–2019: Sam Huggard, former NDU and FIRST Union campaigns officer
- 2008–2015: Peter Conway, former NZCTU economist
- 1999–2007: Paul Goulter, former general secretary of the financial sector union Finsec
- 1987–1999: Angela Foulkes
- Alloy Yachts Employees Federation
- Association of Salaried Medical Specialists (ASMS)
- Aviation and Marine Engineers Association Inc.(AMEA)
- Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union (EPMU)
- Firestone Employees Society
- FIRST Union (an amalgamation of Finsec and the National Distribution Union)
- Flight Attendants & Related Services Association (FARSA)
- Furniture, Manufacturing & Associated Workers Union
- Independent Schools Education Association (ISEA)
- ITF New Zealand Inspectorate
- Maritime Union of N.Z (MUNZ)
- Media Entertainment & Arts Alliance
- Midwifery Representation & Advisory Services (MERAS)
- National Distribution Union (NDU)
- NZ Bakers & Pastrycooks Union
- NZ Building Trades Union (NZBTU)
- NZ Dairy Workers Union (NZDWU)
- NZEI Te Riu Roa: NZ Educational Institute (NZEI)
- NZ Meat Workers & Related Trades Union (NZMWU)
- NZ Merchant Service Guild Industrial Union of Workers Inc (NZMSG)
- NZ Nurses Organisation (NZNO)
- NZ Post Primary Teachers Association Te Wehengarua (PPTA)
- NZ Professional Firefighters Union (NZPFU)
- NZ Professional Footballers Association
- NZ Tramways & Public Transport Employees Union
- NZ Writers Guild (NZWG)
- Postal Workers Union of Aotearoa, Northern
- Postal Workers Union of Aotearoa, Southern
- Public Service Association
- Rail & Maritime Transport Union (RMTU)
- Service & Food Workers Union Nga Ringa Tota Inc. (SFWU)
- Southern Local Government Officers Union (SLGOU)
- New Zealand Tertiary Education Union – Te Hautu Kahurangi o Aotearoa (NZTEU)
- Tertiary Institutes Allied Staff Association (TIASA)
- TUIA Union
- ICTUR; et al., eds. (2005). Trade Unions of the World (6th ed.). London, UK: John Harper Publishing. ISBN 0-9543811-5-7.
- NZCTU Trade Union 2011 Directory. Wellington: NZCTU. 2011.
- NZCTU official site.