New Zealand catshark
|New Zealand catshark|
(S. Springer, 1971)
Halaelurus dawsoni Springer, 1971
The New Zealand catshark, Bythaelurus dawsoni, is a catshark of the family Scyliorhinidae in the order Carcharhiniformes. This species is endemic to in the deep waters around New Zealand. Its length is up to 45 centimetres (18 in). The New Zealand catshark is a small, little-known deep water bottom shark. It is dark brown around the top with a few widely spaced pale spots, and white below. It feeds on bottom-living crustaceans. It is also completely harmless to humans.
The New Zealand Department of Conservation has classified the New Zealand catshark as "Not Threatened" but with the qualifier "Data Poor" under the New Zealand Threat Classification System. It is regarded as being at risk from bottom trawling.
- Finucci, B. & Kyne, P.M. 2018. Bythaelurus dawsoni. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2018: e.T44170A116737662. https://dx.doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2018-2.RLTS.T44170A116737662.en. Downloaded on 27 December 2018.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2011). "Bythaelurus dawsoni" in FishBase. June 2011 version.
- Roberts, Clive; Stewart, A. L.; Struthers, Carl D.; Barker, Jeremy; Kortet, Salme; Freeborn, Michelle (2015). The fishes of New Zealand. 2. Wellington, New Zealand: Te Papa Press. p. 85. ISBN 9780994104168. OCLC 908128805.
- Francis, Malcolm P. (2006-03-01). "Distribution and Biology of the New Zealand Endemic Catshark, Halaelurus dawsoni" (PDF). Environmental Biology of Fishes. 75 (3): 295–306. doi:10.1007/s10641-006-0026-0. ISSN 1573-5133 – via Researchgate.
- Duffy, Clinton A. J.; Francis, Malcolm; Dunn, M. R.; Finucci, Brit; Ford, Richard; Hitchmough, Rod; Rolfe, Jeremy (2016). Conservation status of New Zealand chondrichthyans (chimaeras, sharks and rays), 2016 (PDF). Wellington, New Zealand: Department of Conservation. p. 9. ISBN 9781988514628. OCLC 1042901090.
|This shark-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New Zealand–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|