Newcastle Airport Metro station
|Tyne & Wear Metro|
|Fare zone information|
|Network One zone||3|
|Original (1979) zone||07|
|Metro Usage||0.31 million|
|Opened||17 November 1991|
|List of stations|
Airport is a terminus station of the Green line of the Tyne and Wear Metro that serves Newcastle Airport, Newcastle upon Tyne. The station's platforms and ticket hall are situated a short distance south of the airport's terminal building, with a covered walkway running between them.
The Airport extension, encompassing both Airport station and the intermediate Callerton Parkway station, was opened on 17 November 1991, having cost £12 million to construct. Prior to this date the Metro's Green line terminated 2 miles to the south-east at Bank Foot, with passengers heading to the airport having to alight there and take the M77 shuttle bus to the airport. The vast majority of the route of the extension was already in place, having been opened in 1905 as part of the Ponteland and Darras Hall Branch of the North Eastern Railway. Although the line no longer reached Ponteland or Darras Hall, enough of it remained that building the extension only required around 0.2 miles of new right-of-way.
In 2014 a survey conducted by the Consumers Association found that the Metro service from the Airport was one of the highest rated airport rail links in the country for customer satisfaction. Only the Intercity train link to Birmingham International Airport was rated higher. 
Services towards South Hylton via Newcastle upon Tyne and Sunderland city centres operate every 12 minutes during the daytime and every 15 minutes during the evening and on Sundays, with trains taking around 24 minutes to reach central Newcastle and 55 minutes to reach Sunderland station.
Services commence at 05:37 on weekdays, with later starts on Saturday and Sunday. The last service to run the full length of the Green line to South Hylton departs at 22:39; the next train travels to Sunderland and the one after that terminates at Pelaw. Additional trains depart until 00:01, only taking passengers as far as Regent Centre before continuing empty to the Metro depot.
- "Automated Announcements / Track Map / Usage Statistics". 2015–2016. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Nexus Timeline". storyofmetro.nexus.org.uk. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Metro link marks 15th birthday as passenger numbers take off!" (Press release). Newcastle Airport. 22 November 2006. Archived from the original on 3 May 2007. Retrieved 27 November 2007.
- "IVECO G66DHN OK Travel Newcastle Airport - Flickr - Photo Sharing". Flickr. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Disused Stations - Callerton Station". Disused Stations. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- Newcastle Airport (Map). Google Maps. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- Post reply. "Metro rail link to Newcastle Airport hailed as one of country's best (From The Northern Echo)". Thenorthernecho.co.uk. Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- "Airport - Nexus". Nexus. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Airport (Tyne and Wear) Metro station.|
|Preceding station||Tyne and Wear Metro||Following station|
towards South Hylton