Newcastle Township, Coshocton County, Ohio
|Newcastle Township, Coshocton County, Ohio|
Post office at Walhonding
Location of Newcastle Township in Coshocton County
|• Total||25.83 sq mi (66.89 km2)|
|• Land||25.81 sq mi (66.86 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||820 ft (250 m)|
|• Density||18/sq mi (7.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085923|
Located in the far western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Tiverton Township - north
- Monroe Township - northeast corner
- Jefferson Township - east
- Bedford Township - southeast corner
- Perry Township - south
- Jackson Township, Knox County - southwest corner
- Butler Township, Knox County - west
- Union Township, Knox County - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Newcastle Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Newcastle township, Coshocton County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Hunt, William Ellis (1876). Historical Collections of Coshocton County, Ohio. R. Clarke & Company. p. 3.
- Graham, Albert Adams (1881). History of Coshocton County, Ohio: Its Past and Present, 1740-1881. A. A. Graham. p. 565.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.