Newchurch (Isle of Wight) railway station
The track bed near Newchurch Station is now a cycle path.
|Area||Isle of Wight|
|Pre-grouping||Isle of Wight (Newport Junction) Railway (1868-inc; 1875-1887)
Isle of Wight Central Railway (1887 to 1923)
|Post-grouping||Southern Railway (1923 to 1948)
Southern Region of British Railways (1948 to 1956)
|1 February 1875||Opened|
|6 February 1956||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Newchurch railway station, was an intermediate station situated on the edge of Newchurch village  on the line from Newport to Sandown incorporated by the Isle of Wight (Newport Junction) Railway in 1868, opened in 1875 and closed 81 years later. Despite its rural location a “respectable” number of families alighted at the simple station, "little more than a wooden hut”. The nearest location to the site is a bungalow, Newchurch Crossing.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
IoW CR : Sandown to Newport line
- Pomeroy, C,A "Isle Of Wight Railways, Then and Now": Oxford,Past & Present Publishing, 1993, ISBN 0-947971-62-9
- Bennett,A "Southern Holiday Lines in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight" Cheltenham, Runpast 1994 ISBN 1-870754-31-X
- Hay,P "Steaming Through the Isle Of Wight",: Midhurst,Middleton, 1988 ISBN 0-906520-56-8
- Britton,A "Once upon a line (Vol 4)" Oxford, OPC, 1994 ISBN 0-86093-513-2
- Paye, Peter (1984). Isle of Wight Railways remembered. Oxford: OPC. ISBN 0-86093-212-5.
- Gammell C.J, "Southern Branch Lines", Oxford, OPC, 1997 ISBN 0-86093-537-X
|This article on a railway station in South East England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|