|Street address||Angeles Crest Highway|
|City||La Cañada Flintridge|
Newcomb's Ranch is a roadhouse at 5,340 feet (1,630 m) in elevation in the Angeles National Forest, near Los Angeles, California. It is the only private property along the Angeles Crest Highway and is very popular with motorcyclists and is called "the informal headquarters for riders" by the Los Angeles Magazine and "one of Southern California's most famous Rickey Racer Roadhouses" by Motorcyclist. The roadhouse is located in unincorporated Los Angeles County, near La Cañada Flintridge.
The Newcomb family, who also created the Mount Waterman ski area, settled the property using the Land Revision Act of 1891, building the roadhouse in 1939. The roadhouse has served as a restaurant, hotel, general store, gas station, and as a brothel or love hotel. The inn burned in 1976, allegedly started by a cook who had been terminated. The fire destroyed most of the second floor, which wasn't rebuilt. It was purchased in late 2001 by Frederick Rundall, an oncologist who purchased the roadhouse from Lynn Newcomb and remodeled it in 2003 for $340,000. The second floor became lodging for employees.
The roadhouse closed in 2009 for the Station Fire. In January 2010 following the storm closure of Angeles Crest Highway between Newcomb's and Los Angeles, as well as a South Coast Air Quality Management District violation for operating a diesel generator without permit, Rundall shelved remodeling plans and discussed closing down completely.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Newcomb's Ranch.|
- Pringle, Paul (2003-01-07). "A Dream Steeped in History; Owner hopes to revive Newcomb's, a remote roadhouse clinging to Angeles Crest Highway". Los Angeles Times. p. B1.
- American Motorcyclist. June 2003. p. 48. Missing or empty
- McCauley, Byron (1986-07-27). "Biker Crashes Prompt Crackdown on Angeles Crest Highway". Los Angeles Times. p. 4.
- Los Angeles Magazine. May 1998. p. 156. Missing or empty
- Putter, Eric (April 2002). "Newcomb's Ranch Inn: Tender vittles on The Crest". Motorcyclist. p. 32.
- "CrestHwy_Map_1a.gif." Newcomb's Ranch. Retrieved on September 16, 2010.
- "Driving Directions to Newcomb’s Ranch." Newcomb's Ranch. Retrieved on September 16, 2010.
- "Inquiry." Newcomb's Ranch. Retrieved on September 16, 2010.
- Carpenter, Susan (2010-01-18). "Newcomb's Ranch may be at the end of the road; The closure of Angeles Crest Highway this week because of rain is the latest calamity". Los Angeles Times. p. B1.
- Berk, Joe (September 2007). "Newcomb's Ranch, Flintridge, CA". Motorcycle Classics.
- Hamlett, Christina (2007-08-23). "Newcomb's Ranch Features Nature Close To Home". La Cañada Flintridge Outlook.