Newcomb Township, Champaign County, Illinois
Location in Champaign County
Champaign County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 8, 1859|
|• Total||36.37 sq mi (94.2 km2)|
|• Land||36.22 sq mi (93.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.15 sq mi (0.4 km2) 0.41%|
|Elevation||738 ft (225 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||1,291|
|• Density||35.7/sq mi (13.8/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 36.37 square miles (94.2 km2), of which 36.22 square miles (93.8 km2) (or 99.59%) is land and 0.15 square miles (0.39 km2) (or 0.41%) is water. Illinois Route 47 crosses the township from north to south. U.S. Route 136 forms the northern boundary. The historically registered Hazen Bridge crosses the Sangamon River in the eastern part of this township.
Cities and towns
- Fisher (southwest quarter)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Natural gas storage area
Though the township is mostly farmland, it also contains the Manlove Field Natural gas storage area operated by Peoples Gas Light & Coke Company.( ) The storage facility is an underground aquifer opened in 1966 capable of storing around 150 billion cubic feet (4.2×109 m3) of natural gas for delivery to the Chicago area via connected pipelines. Peoples gas holds property easements covering around 32,000 acres (129.5 km2) for the storage facility and co-located liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant.
The township contains three cemeteries: Naylor, Shiloh and Willowbrook.
Airports and landing strips
- Furtney Airport
- "Newcomb Township, Champaign County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- United States Census Bureau cartographic boundary files
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.