Newell Township, Vermilion County, Illinois
Location in Vermilion County
|• Total||50.71 sq mi (131.3 km2)|
|• Land||49.98 sq mi (129.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.73 sq mi (1.9 km2) 1.44%|
|Elevation||692 ft (211 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||279.5/sq mi (107.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
The first sale land in this area was in 1824 to Obadiah Le Neve, who settled here just before Christmas of that year. It was not until 1851 that the county was divided up into its first eight townships, and Newell Township was one of those. It was named for Squire James Newell, the first Justice of the Peace for the area. 
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 50.71 square miles (131.3 km2), of which 49.98 square miles (129.4 km2) (or 98.56%) is land and 0.73 square miles (1.9 km2) (or 1.44%) is water. The township contains much of Lake Vermilion.
Cities and towns
- West Newell
- Kent Township, Warren County, Indiana (east)
- Steuben Township, Warren County, Indiana (east)
- Mound Township, Warren County, Indiana (southeast)
- Danville Township (south)
- Blount Township (west)
- South Ross Township (northwest)
The township contains these cemeteries: Bryley, Farmers Chapel, Huffman, Lamb, Leonard, Rose, Springhill, Sunset Memorial and Walnut Corner.
Airports and landing strips
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Stapp, Katherine; W. I. Bowman (1968). History Under Our Feet: The Story of Vermilion County, Illinois. Danville, Illinois: Interstate Printers and Publishers, Inc. p. 50.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.