General Assembly of Newfoundland and Labrador
|General Assembly of Newfoundland and Labrador|
|47th General Assembly of Newfoundland and Labrador|
|Houses||Legislative Council (1832-1934)
House of Assembly (1934-)
(Suspended 1934-1949 during Commission of Government)
|Colonial Building (1850-1959)
Confederation Building (1959- )
The General Assembly of Newfoundland and Labrador (known as the General Assembly of Newfoundland until 6 December 2001) is the legislature of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Today, the legislature is made of two elements: the monarch of Canada, represented by the Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador, and the unicameral assembly called the Newfoundland and Labrador House of Assembly. The legislature was first established in 1832.
Like the Canadian federal government, Newfoundland and Labrador uses a Westminster-style parliamentary government, in which members are sent to the House of Assembly after general elections and from there the party with the most seats chooses a Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador and Executive Council of Newfoundland and Labrador. The premier acts as Newfoundland and Labrador's head of government, while the Queen of Canada acts as its head of state.
The legislature was originally bicameral. From 1832 to 1934, it had an upper house called the Legislative Council of Newfoundland. That house was abolished in 1934.
Between 1934 and Newfoundland's entry into Canadian Confederation in 1949, Newfoundland was under Commission of Government, and the General Assembly was suspended.
List of General Assemblies
- The results of the 1836 election were set aside by the chief justice of Newfoundland, after he discovered some of the writs had not been marked with the official seal.
- Democratic government suspended in 1934 with the creation of the Commission of Government. The Newfoundland House of Assembly remained suspended until 1949.
- "Journal of the House of Assembly of Newfoundland (1833–1841)". Early Canadiana Online. Retrieved 2008-11-10.
- "Journal of the General Assembly of Newfoundland (1843–1846)". Early Canadiana Online. Retrieved 2008-11-10.
- "Journal of the House of Assembly of Newfoundland (1848–1867)". Early Canadiana Online. Retrieved 2008-11-09.