Newfoundland general election, 1848
The 5th Newfoundland general election was held in 1848 to elect members of the 4th General Assembly of Newfoundland in the Dominion of Newfoundland. The use of two separate bodies, an elected assembly and an appointed Legislative Council, was resumed; the experiment with combining the two bodies which had been initiated in 1842 was terminated. While the exact party composition of the Newfoundland House of Assembly following this election is unknown; the Liberals did enjoy a majority.
- St. John's District
- Conception Bay District
- Ferryland District
- Placentia and St. Mary's District
- Burin District
- Fortune Bay District
- Hugh William Hoyles Conservative
- Trinity Bay District
- Thomas Bulley Job Conservative
- Bonavista Bay District
- Robert Carter Conservative
- Fogo District
- "Journal of the House of Assembly of Newfoundland : anno decimo sexto Victoriæ Reginæ ... first session of the fifth General Assembly". 1853. pp. 6–7. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- "Representative Government, 1832-1855". Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage. Memorial University. Retrieved 2009-10-23.