Newham University Hospital
|Newham University Hospital|
|Barts Health NHS Trust|
|Location||Glen Road, Plaistow E13 8SL, London, England|
|Care system||National Health Service|
|Affiliated university||Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry|
|Opened||14 December 1983Queen Mary's Hospital for the East End and East Ham Memorial Hospital)(replaced|
The hospital was built to replace Queen Mary's Hospital for the East End in Stratford and East Ham Memorial Hospital and was opened by the Queen as Newham General Hospital on 14 December 1983. A maternity department was added in 1985. The second phase of the hospital development, which introduced additional maternity beds, a special care baby unit, a rehabilitation department and an academic centre was opened by Diana, Princess of Wales on 18 February 1986. A women's centre and an ambulatory care centre were added in 2000. The hospital's name was changed to Newham University Hospital in 2004.
The Gateway Surgical Centre, which includes 39 beds, a renal unit and three operating theatres, opened in 2005. In 2012 the accident and emergency department was reconfigured to benefit from Pearson Lloyd's redesign, "A Better A&E", which reduced aggression against hospital staff by 50%.
In June 2018, a member of the A&E nursing staff was stabbed by a member of the public.
A check on 1,497 maternity patients at the hospital in 2017 found that 17 were not entitled to free NHS treatment and billed them £104,706.
London Buses routes 104, 147, 262, 276, 300, 376 and 473 serve the hospital. The nearest train stations are Plaistow and Upton Park on the District and Hammersmith & City lines of the London Underground and Prince Regent on the Docklands Light Railway. Limited parking for automobiles is available in the hospital together with disabled spaces.
In popular culture
- The hospital featured in Benjamin Zephaniah's book Face
- Grime duo Newham Generals are named after the hospital
- "Inspection report" (PDF). Care Quality Commission. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- "Newham University Hospital". Lost hospitals of London. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "A&E department redesign 'cuts aggression by half'". Design Week. 28 November 2013. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "Hospital A&E worker stabbed in 'shocking and senseless attack'". NursingNotes. 13 June 2019. Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- "8,900 checks on NHS 'health tourists' find just 50 liable to pay". Evening Standard. 29 May 2018. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Buses from Newham University Hospital" (PDF). Retrieved 21 February 2021.
- Sarah Wenham. "Newham University Hospital - Barts Health NHS Trust". Bartshealth.nhs.uk. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Newham University Hospital.|