Newlands, New Zealand
|Local authority||Wellington City|
|Electoral ward||Northern Ward|
|Land area||682 ha (2.63 sq mi)|
|North||Paparangi, Woodridge, Grenada|
Newlands is one of the northern suburbs of Wellington, New Zealand. It lies approximately 8 km north of the city centre and to the east of its nearest neighbour Johnsonville. It has a long history of early settlement and originally was farmed including being the early source of Wellington's milk. Newlands is located in a valley and covers two ridgelines, the side of one of which overlooks Wellington Harbour and up to the Hutt Valley.
The area that modern Newlands occupies was originally known as Papararangi which is Te Reo Māori for "cluster of hills". A 40 ha area was sold during the 1840-41 land ballots run by the New Zealand Company. There are two theories to the suburb's name. The first is that it was named after Thomas Newland who arrived in New Zealand from London in 1875 aboard the ship “Avalanche” and ran a business making glue and oil in neighboring Johnsonville before becoming Manager of the Manure Department of the Wellington Meat Export Company's Works in 1892. Thomas Newland was close friends of Walter Futter who owned land in Newlands. The second theory is that it was simply the "New Land" near Johnsonville.
Newlands has recently (2013) had a revamped shopping centre with a new supermarket, and a new community centre. It is close to services and a mall located in its near neighbour Johnsonville.
Volunteer Fire Brigade
Newlands Volunteer Fire Brigade was established in 1965 on Newlands Road and has 20 members and one appliance; a 2010 Iveco Eurocargo 6/1 light pumping appliance.
Parks and reserves
Newlands has a number of parks and reserves, including:
- Newlands Park
- Pinkerton Park
- Seton Nossiter Park
- Waihinahina park
- Gilberd Bush Reserve
- Edgecombe Street play area
- Kenmore Street Play Area
- Lyndfield Lane play area
- Cheyne Walk play area
- Salford Street Play Area
Newlands is served by buses to and from the city, run by Newlands Coach Services.
Newlands has good access to Lower Hutt, the main motorway north to the Kapiti Coast, and to Wellington's CBD.
School enrollment zones
Newlands College is a state coeducational secondary school located on Bracken Road in Newlands.
Primary and intermediate education
Newlands has three primary schools and one intermediate school:
- Newlands Intermediate is intermediate school located on Bracken road, next to Newlands College. It is a decile 9 school with a roll of 313 in 2014.
- Newlands School is a contributing primary school located on Newlands Road. It is a decile 8 school with a roll of 337 in 2014.
- Rewa Rewa School is a contributing primary school located on Padnell Crescent. It is a decile 9 school with a roll of 71 in 2014.
- Bellevue School is a contributing primary school located on Bancroft Terrace. It is a decile 8 school with a roll of 266 in 2014.
- "Community Profile: Newlands".
- "Newlands - a bit of history".
- "Maori Language Week - 1000 Māori place names".
- "Newlands Rd's shady past".
- "The Cyclopedia of New Zealand - Mr. Thomas Newland".
- "The Newlands baby farmers".
- "Newlands Community Centre".
- "Newlands Toy Library".
- "Newlands Volunteer Fire Brigade".
- "Play parks and sports grounds".
- "Seton Nossiter Park".
- "Waihinahina Park".
- "Gilberd Bush Reserve".
- "eLearning Schools Search".
- "Ministry of Education School Rolls".
- "Newlands School - Our School".
- "Rewa Rewa School".
- "Bellevue School".