|Owner/Operator||Shire of East Pilbara|
|Location||Newman, Western Australia|
|Elevation AMSL||1,724 ft / 525 m|
Newman Airport (IATA: ZNE, ICAO: YNWN) is an airport near Newman, Western Australia. Situated 5.5 nautical miles (10.2 km; 6.3 mi) southeast from the town, it is the most ready form of transport between Perth and Newman.
The airport is owned and maintained by the Shire of East Pilbara. Newman's primary air traffic is made up by a mixture of light aircraft, QantasLink and Virgin Australia flights. QantasLink and Virgin Australia fly RPT flights to Perth only (with the exception of their regular charter flights) whereas the lighter aircraft fly to outer communities as well as to Port Hedland and other Pilbara towns. The flight time between Newman and Perth is approximately 1:45 (jet).
Drag races were held on the airport runway annually. However, due to increasing demand on the airport, drag races will no longer be held here.
Expansion project (2008)
As of 2008 the airport is undergoing an expansion project to improve both customer service and services to the airlines that use the airport.
The new terminal building will provide improved services such as conveyors in a new undercover baggage collection area, and a larger waiting room. The facility is being funded by the Shire of East Pilbara.
The new tarmac will be able to support Boeing 737-800 aircraft as well as the current Boeing 717 aircraft making a total capacity of four aircraft. In addition, half of the previously existing tarmac will be reserved purely for the lighter aircraft. The tarmac was completed in mid-2008.
Airlines and destinations
|Alliance Airlines||Perth, Port Hedland|
|Qantas operated by Network Aviation||Perth|
|Year||Revenue passengers||Aircraft movements|
|Rank||Airport||Passengers carried||% change|
|1||Western Australia, Perth Airport||438,884||46.4|
- Fiscal year 1 July - 30 June
- PDF). AIP En Route Supplement from Airservices Australia, effective 08 November 2018, Aeronautical Chart (
- "Airport Traffic Data 1985-86 to 2012-13". Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE). July 2014. Retrieved 18 August 2014. Refers to "Regular Public Transport (RPT) operations only"
- Newman Airport (Shire) Retrieved 6 August 2008.
- Auswest Airlines Retrieved 6 August 2008.
- Newman Outback Drags Retrieved 6 August 2008.
- Shire of East Pilbara airport articles Retrieved 6 August 2008.
- Plans held by Mr C. Fox (Newman Airport Manager)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 June 2015. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Australian Domestic Airline Activity 2012-13". Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics (BITRE). April 2014. Retrieved 18 August 2014. Refers to "Regular Public Transport (RPT) operations only"
Media related to Newman Airport at Wikimedia Commons