Newmarket GO Station
|Location||465 Davis Drive, Newmarket
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Station code||GO Transit: NMGO|
Newmarket GO Station is a train station in the GO Transit network located in the Old Davis Tannery Centre on the north side of Davis Drive East in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada, and is a stop on the Barrie line train service. It is a little over two kilometres east of the Newmarket Bus Terminal, at Davis Drive West and Eagle Street, which is a terminus for GO Bus, York Region Transit and Viva BRT services.
In 1853 the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway opened the line between Toronto and Collingwood which was acquired by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1888 and later merged into the Canadian National Railway.
Newmarket railway station was built on the south side of Davis Drive by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1900. The original station building is a one-storey wood clad stick frame building with board and batten siding associated with the Carpenter Gothic style. The west side has a projecting bay window flanked by waiting rooms, originally the south room for women and the north room for men.
The station building was designated a municipal heritage building in 1987 under the Ontario Heritage Act, and as a federal heritage building in 1992 under the Heritage Railway Stations Protection Act.
The GO Transit Barrie line is now owned by Metrolinx and the historic Grand Trunk Railway station is owned by the Town of Newmarket.
A platform extension and repair project began in March 2014. It also includes the rehabilitation of the parking lot, a new ticket booth with a customer waiting area and improved accessibility features.
Weekend train service consists of 3 trains southbound to Union station in the morning and 3 trains returning northbound in the evening. At other times, the station is served by GO bus route 68 which operates between Barrie Bus Terminal and Aurora GO station, where passengers can transfer to the all-day weekend train service toward Toronto.
All buses serve the GO station from bus stops on Davis Drive and Main Street.
- 44 Bristol
- 50 Queensway
- 54 Bayview
- 55/55B Davis Drive
- 223 Newmarket GO Shuttle
- 520/521 Newmarket Community Bus
- Go Transit
- "Newmarket Train Station". Canadian Register of Historic Places. Parks Canada. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Newmarket Railway Station". Town of Newmarket. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
Designation by-law: 1987-110
- "The Directory of Designated Heritage Railway Stations in Ontario". Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. Parks Canada. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Former Canadian National Railway Station". Canadian Register of Historic Places. Parks Canada. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Newmarket GO Station". GO Transit. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Barrie Line 2017 Schedule" (PDF). GO Transit. 31 December 2016. Retrieved 25 December 2016.