This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Number of locations
|California, Connecticut, New York City|
|Services||Therapy, education, rehab|
Newport Academy is an American therapy program for adolescents with mental health or addiction issues. It was founded in 2009 by Jamison Monroe. With residential, outpatient, and day school locations in Connecticut and California, Newport Academy uses forms of treatment such as music therapy, nutritional counseling, art therapy, equine therapy, meditation, and cooking therapy, among others. It is a member of the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs.
Newport Academy was founded in May 2009 by Jamison Monroe, who as a young teenager had been in rehab programs for depression, anxiety, and substance abuse issues. Newport Academy treats mental health issues and addiction. In 2012, Newport Academy received approval from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. In July and August of 2013 a judge sent Ethan Couch for teen substance abuse and mental health rehabilitation to Newport Academy, which cost upwards of $450,000 annually at that time. Couch's stay was a topic in the press. In January 2017, Monroe Operations, which does business as Newport Academy, was reportedly up for sale, with Moelis & Co advising on the auction.
The schools use a number of therapies to treat mental health issues, substance abuse, and eating disorders. Newport Academy lists the diagnoses it treats as mental health, anxiety, eating disorders, behavioral addictions, addiction to substances, and other problems, for example multiple personality disorder, PTSD, psychosis, ADHD, gender identity disorder, thought disorder, parental alienation, and family relationship issues. Among the forms of treatment are music therapy, nutritional counseling, art therapy, equine therapy, meditation, and cooking therapy. At outpatient facilities there are daily yoga and meditation classes, with other regular treatments such as hiking and climbing.
Programs and facilities
Newport Academy has locations in Connecticut and California, and facility types include residential, outpatient, and day school. The residential facilities are separated by gender. Outpatient locations, where teens transition to a home environment, are in Costa Mesa, California and Darien, Connecticut. The outpatient programs use smaller groups ages 13 to 19 for therapy. Newport Academy also operates a sober high school for teenagers going through rehab in New York City.
- Robert Milburn = (October 3, 2014), "New Help For Addicted Kids", Barron's, United States: Dow Jones & Company (News Corp)
- Katie Corrado (May 17, 2017), "Connecticut mental health treatment center takes different approach in helping teens", Fox 61
- Avinash Ramsadeen (November 2, 2016), "Songwriter credits music therapy with helping her to overcome depression, anxiety", Fox News, United States: Fox Entertainment Group (News Corp)
- Anderson Cooper (December 12, 2013), "Treatment center in "affluenza" case", CNN, United States
- Jeanne Whalen (December 8, 2014), "A Road to Mental Health Through the Kitchen", The Wall Street Journal, New York, United States: Dow Jones & Company (News Corp)
- Robert Kolker (November 21, 2016), "Affluenza Anonymous: Rehab for the Young, Rich, and Addicted", Bloomberg Businessweek, New York City, United States: Bloomberg L.P.
- "Insider: Ethan Couch was a 'victim of emotional abuse', not 'affluenza'". HLNTV.
- Plushnick-Masti, Ramit. "Affluenza' isn't a recognized diagnosis, experts say after 'brat' spared from jail in drunk driving case". National Post. Associated Press. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Muskal, Michael. "Texas teen's probation for killing 4 while driving drunk stirs anger". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Treatment center in "affluenza" case". CNN.
- Luisa Beltran (January 27, 2017), "Newport Academy, teen-treatment center, is said to seek buyer", PE Hub, Argosy Group LLC
- Treatment - Teen Depression, Newport Academy
- Newport Academy Outpatient Treatment Locations, United States: Newport Academy
- "Advocates Call On City Officials To Open Public 'Sober High Schools' In New York", CBS New York, January 13, 2016