Newport railway station, Melbourne
Northbound view from Platform 2 in January 2012
|Location||Melbourne Road, Newport|
|Distance||10.56 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 March 1859|
Newport railway station is located on the Warrnambool line in Victoria, Australia. Beyond the station, the Werribee and Williamstown lines branch off. It serves the western Melbourne suburb of Newport.
Two sidings exist at the northern end of the station for the stabling of trains used on Williamstown and Altona line shuttle services. The Western standard gauge line to Adelaide runs behind Platform 1, and the Newport Workshops are situated to the south.
Newport railway station opened on 1 March 1859 as Geelong Junction, being renamed Williamstown Junction in January 1869 and Newport on 1 November 1881. The Geelong and Melbourne Railway Company opened the line to Newport in 1857 from Geelong, but it ran along North Road to a temporary terminus at Greenwich as the line on to Melbourne was not yet complete. In October that year the line towards Williamstown was completed, and so the Geelong line was connected to it. 
In 1887 the Newport-Sunshine line was opened to provide easier access to the port of Williamstown from the north of Victoria. A number of sidings were provided in the area, to a flour mill on the Melbourne side, and a goods yard on the western side of the Williamstown line. The Melbourne Road level crossing just south of the station was replaced with the current overbridge in October 1960, and in 1966 a freight line was provided behind platform 1 so that freight trains could bypass the station itself. In 1995, that line was converted to dual gauge to become part Western standard gauge line to Adelaide.
Platforms & services
Newport has two side platforms. Platform 1 features a large brick building which houses an enclosed waiting area and toilets. Platform 2 features a smaller brick building which also contains toilets. It is serviced by Metro Trains' Werribee and Williamstown services and V/Line Geelong services. Until June 2015, V/Line Geelong and Warrnambool line services called at Newport. These now operate via the Regional Rail Link.
- Werribee line: all stations services to Flinders Street
- Williamstown line: all stations services to Flinders Street
Sita Buslines operate three routes via Newport station:
- 432: to Yarraville station
- 471: Williamstown - Sunshine station
- 472: Williamstown - Moonee Ponds Junction
- Newport Vicsig
- Newport Station Rail Geelong
- "GREENWICH RAILWAY STATION IS NOT EVEN A MEMORY NOW". The Argus. 22 January 1944. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Heritage Society (Victorian Division). October 1997. p. 310.
- Werribee Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Williamstown Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Geelong - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- "New timetables from Sunday June 21 - Geelong" (Press release). Geelong: V/Line. n.d. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- Route 432 Newport - Yarraville timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 471 Williamstown - Sunshine timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 472 Williamstown - Moonee Ponds timetable Public Transport Victoria