NewsNight with Aaron Brown
|NewsNight with Aaron Brown|
Anderson Cooper (September - November 2005)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original release||November 5, 2001 – November 4, 2005|
NewsNight with Aaron Brown is a live international news program which aired on the CNN and CNN International networks from 2001 to 2005. It aired at 10 PM ET on weeknights and was hosted by Aaron Brown. In its final year, Anderson Cooper co-hosted the show.
The show focused on investigative journalism and had a strong emphasis on interviews. It included segments such as The Whip (which quickly previewed segments from four reporters at large), On the Rise, and Segment 7. The Morning Papers segment, known as The Rooster, featured a brief preview of compelling or interesting headlines from the next day's newspapers around the world. The segment concluded with the weather forecast in Chicago as provided in the Chicago Sun-Times.
To cover the increased amount of news generated by Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath in September 2005, CNN expanded NewsNight to two hours and added Anderson Cooper as a co-host. (Cooper's coverage of the natural disaster elsewhere on the network had given him strong ratings.) These changes were intended to last for the duration of the hurricane's aftermath, but CNN later announced that it would keep the new format and make Cooper a permanent co-host.
- "'Newsnight With Aaron Brown' Premieres Monday" (Time Warner press release, October 30, 2001)
- Sample CNN.com page for Newsnight with Aaron Brown (from November 10, 2004, via Internet Archive)
- CNN anchor's away
- Sure, Anderson Cooper is cute and young, but get a grip, CNN
- The NewsNighters - The 1st and best online club for Aaron Brown of CNN's NewsNight
- NewsNight with Aaron Brown on Internet Movie Database