Nationwide Football Annual
Two long-serving previous editors were 'Tityrus' (otherwise J A H Catton, editor of the Athletic News 1900–1924) and Ivan Sharpe (c. 1928–1956). Other editors or joint-editors appearing on the front covers or title pages include David Jack (1956–1958 – he also made later contributions, not to be confused with the England footballer of the same name); Malcolm Gunn (1958–1966); Frank Butler  (1961–1982); Patrick Collins (1967–1977); Harold Mayes (1978); Charles Sampson (1983–1984); Albert Sewell (1983–1997); Bill Bateson (1985–1994) and Eric Brown (1998–1999).
The book has incorporated a number of illustrations for many years, and since 1948 these have regularly included team photos of a few of the previous season's most successful sides. Since 1985 the annual has also included very brief obituaries ('The Final Whistle') for selected former players and officials dying within the previous twelve months.
- "Nationwide Football Annual 2016–2017". Amazon.com. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- Brake L & Demoor M, Dictionary of nineteenth-century journalism in Great Britain and Ireland, 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2011
- "'News of the World' Football and Sports Annual". Bookfinder.com. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- Verified by checking copies of the original annuals, 1946–2010
- Bill Wilson (23 July 2008). "New life for oldest football book". BBC. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- Verified from copies of the facsimiles