Newsletter for Birdwatchers
|Former editors||Zafar Futehally|
Newsletter for Birdwatchers is an Indian periodical of ornithology and birdwatching founded in 1960 by Zafar Futehally, who edited it until 2003. It was initially mimeographed and distributed to a small number of subscribers each month. The editorial board in its early years included Salim Ali, Biswamoy Biswas and other ornithologists in the region. The nature of the articles was largely informal and often essay-like. Important observations were often republished in other journals such as the Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, however the outreach of more serious journals to amateur birdwatchers in the region was limited.
It was later produced once in two months in a printed form by S. Sridhar of Navbharat Press in Bangalore who took up both the publication and editorship in 2003 when Futehally shifted affiliation to another periodical named Indian Birds which was published from Hyderabad. It is currently published every two months in English from Bangalore.
- Ghorpade, KD (1976). "Serious Birdwatching". Newsletter for Birdwatchers. 16 (8): 1–6.
- Ghorpade, KD (1973). "The Newsletter: A critique". Newsletter for Birdwatchers. 13 (8): 1–5.
- Futehally, Z. (2007). "Recoveries from the Newsletter for Birdwatchers (1969)—17" (PDF). Indian Birds. 3 (2): 72–73.
- Official website
- Scanned copies @ Internet Archive
- Newsletter for Birdwatchers @ Directory of SAARC Periodicals
|This hobby magazine or journal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.