Newsweb Corporation is a printer of ethnic and alternative newspapers in the United States, based in Chicago, Illinois. The company also owns several radio stations in the Chicago area and a television station in Sterling, Colorado.
In early 2004, the company purchased 99.9 FM WRZA from Entravision and in late 2004, the company purchased three suburban Chicago radio stations from Spanish Broadcasting System: 92.5 FM WDEK, 92.7 FM WKIE and 92.7 FM WKIF. The trimulcast was formerly the home to Energy 92.7&5. WKIF was broken away from the trimulcast and WRZA took its place. WKIF became a CNN Radio affiliate. The new trimulcast became a variety hits format as Nine FM, and the station later became a split-format station with Nine FM during the day and Dance Hits format Dance Factory at night. Dance Factory is operated by TKC Entertainment, which leases the air time from Newsweb. Nine FM was discontinued as of October 19, 2008 in favor of Progressive Talk simulcast with sister station WCPT.
Newsweb purchased AM 850 WAIT in 2004. Newsweb also owns WSBC 1240 AM and WNDZ 750 AM, and formerly owned WCFJ 1470 AM, until surrendering the station's license to the Federal Communications Commission on November 9, 2015.
Newsweb had formerly owned the Gary, Indiana-licensed UPN affiliate for Chicago, WPWR, until 2003, when they sold the station to Fox Television Stations Group, becoming a duopoly with WFLD, the Fox owned and operated station.
In 2006, they also sold Denver UPN affiliate KTVD to the Gannett Company, who made it part of a duopoly with Gannett's local NBC affiliate, KUSA-TV. Newsweb retained KTVD's former satellite station in Sterling, Colorado, KUPN, which is now operated as independent station KCDO-TV.
Coincidentally, both WPWR and KTVD are affiliates of MyNetworkTV.
- McCormik, John (2005-06-07). "Fred Eychaner". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2011-12-14.
- Armstrong, David (2002-09-30). "A Long Strange Trip". Forbes.
- Venta, Lance. "Bible Broadcasting Acquires WCPQ Park Forest IL", RadioInsight. March 20, 2018. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Finlon, Katie. "DeKalb station WCPT-FM bought out by Educational Media Foundation", Daily Chronicle. September 28, 2018. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Venta, Lance. "EMF Acquires WCPT-FM", RadioInsight. September 26, 2018. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Feder, Robert. "Feder: WAIT to go dark as Newsweb sells land to McHenry County College", Daily Herald. August 20, 2019. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- Feder, Robert. "WAIT to go dark as Newsweb sells land to McHenry County College", RobertFeder.com. August 20, 2019. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- Feder, Robert (2006-01-20). "Top anchor, reporter lose Telemundo jobs". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2008-09-25.
|This article about a media company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Illinois-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|