Newton Abbot (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Newton Abbot in Devon for the 2010 general election.
Location of Devon within England.
|Electorate||69,600 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Newton Abbot, Dawlish and Teignmouth|
|Member of parliament||Anne-Marie Morris (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South West England|
Parliament accepted the Boundary Commission's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies proposing to create this constituency for the 2010 general election which increased the number of seats in the county from 11 to 12. It replaces the southern part of the former Teignbridge seat, including the town of Newton Abbot itself, as well as Dawlish and Teignmouth. Nominally the 2010 results was a gain of the seat (LD-Conservative) on a swing of 5.8%. Teignbridge's other successor saw a very similar 6% swing with a much larger margin for the same winning party in Central Devon in the 2010 election.
- Ambrook, Bishopsteignton, Bradley, Buckland and Milber, Bushell, College, Dawlish Central and North East, Dawlish South West, Ipplepen, Kenton with Starcross, Kerswell-with-Combe, Kingsteignton East, Kingsteignton West, Shaldon and Stokeinteignhead, Teignmouth Central, Teignmouth East and Teignmouth West.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Newton Abbot|
|Conservative||Anne Marie Morris||22,794||47.3||+4.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Younger-Ross||11,506||23.9||-18.1|
|General Election 2010: Newton Abbot|
|Conservative||Anne Marie Morris||20,774||43.0||+8.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Younger-Ross*||20,251||41.9||-3.6|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrat||Swing||+5.8|
- * Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- "Final recommendations for Parliamentary constituencies in the counties of Devon, Plymouth and Torbay". Boundary Commission for England. 2004-11-24. Retrieved 2010-04-25.[dead link]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "N" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Roy Freer PPC page". Labour Party (UK). Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.