Newton Dale Halt railway station
|Newton Dale Halt|
|Managed by||North Yorkshire Moors Railway|
|Stations on heritage railways in the United Kingdom|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
Newton Dale Halt railway station is a request stop on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and serves as a stopping off point for walkers around Newton Dale and Cropton Forest in the North York Moors National Park, North Yorkshire, England. When the station was opened, the station signs were written as Newtondale Halt.
The halt was built by the North Yorkshire Moors Railway using materials from Warrenby Halt, near Redcar. The halt was a new construction that was a joint enterprise between the NYMR, the Forestry Commission and the North Yorks Moors National Park Authority. The station was opened in 1981 near to the former Newtondale signal box that had last been used in 1930 and was demolished by the NYMR in 1995 due to it being unsafe.
A small NER style wooden waiting shelter has been erected at the halt (c. 2005), it is based on the design of the one which used to stand at Sledmere and Fimber on the closed Malton & Driffield Railway but reduced in size and eliminating the windows.
There are four different waymarked walks from Newton Dale Halt, provided by the National Park in conjunction with the Forestry Commission. The walks vary in length and difficulty to suit most walkers. The longer walks take the walker to Levisham station. For the more enthusiastic (and better equipped) walker there are public footpaths leading elsewhere, including Goathland station but definitive maps are advisable.
- "OL27" (Map). North York Moors - Eastern area. 1;25,000. Explorer. Ordnance Survey. 2016. ISBN 9780319242667.
- "Newtondale Halt". nymr.co.uk. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- Joy, compiled by David (1982). North Yorkshire Moors Railway : a pictorial survey. Clapham: Dalesman Books. p. 40. ISBN 0-85206-696-1.
- Bairstow, Martin (1998). Railways Around Whitby, vol. 1 : Scarborough-Whitby-Saltburn, malton-Goathland-Whitby, esk Valley, forge Valley and Gilling Lines (2. ed.). Martin Bairstow. p. 88. ISBN 1-871944-17-1.
- Hunt, John (2003). The North Yorkshire moors railway. Wadenhoe: Past & Present. p. 85. ISBN 1-85895-236-0.
- "North Eastern Railway (1854 – 1923)". nymr.co.uk. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- "Newtondale Forest". www.forestry.gov.uk. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- Woodcock, John (14 July 2006). "Yorkshire Treasures". The Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- Beadle, Brian (4 June 2009). "Let the train take the strain on moors walk". Gazette & Herald. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- "Newtondale: North York Moors National Park". northyorkmoors.org.uk. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
|Preceding station||Heritage railways||Following station|
|Levisham||North Yorkshire Moors Railway||Goathland|