Newton MRT station
North South Line Platform of Newton MRT station.
|Location||49 Scotts Road|
235 Bukit Timah Road
|Operated by||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation) (North South Line)|
SBS Transit DTL (Downtown Line)
|Depth||12 metres (39 ft) (North South Line platforms)|
|Opened||12 December 1987 (North South Line)|
27 December 2015 (Downtown Line)
|Previous names||Newton Circus|
The North South Line station is not directly linked to the Downtown Line’s, hence, passengers are required to exit from the station at one line and tap in to enter the other. A similar situation exists at Tampines MRT station and Bukit Panjang MRT/LRT station. It is considered a "valid transfer" as long as it does not exceed 15 minutes. Passengers are not allowed to top up the travel card at any side to enjoy the same discount.
On 5 October 2017, a Platform screen door on the southbound North South Line platform malfunctioned. The door, which is fitted with sensors to detect when the train doors opens, failed to open when the train doors opened. SMRT had stationed staff at the platform and on board trains to direct passengers to the nearest working door. This was the second case of malfunctioning doors with the other incident at the southbound Downtown Line platform at Botanic Gardens station.
On 7 to 8 October, this station served as the temporary terminus for north bound trains from Marina South Pier as train services was suspended between Newton and Ang Mo Kio due to the Bishan tunnel flooding. Service resumed at around 2pm on 8 October.
As part of Exercise Station Guard 2018, X-ray machines for bags and walk-through metal detectors are used in this station, as part of the emergency preparedness ground deployment exercise. It is also used as part of a trial in November 2018.
Art in Transit
The Downtown Line section of the station features the artwork "Newton" by MessyMsxi. The artwork draws inspiration from Singapore and Newton heritage, featuring the imagined landscape of Singapore in 2200. It envisions an alternative reality of how it may look as the country progresses, and to evolve and develop to newer heights.
- A: Balmoral Plaza, Goldbell Towers, Scotts Rd / Bukit Timah Rd, Sheraton Towers Singapore, Alliance Francaise De Singapour, Prudential@Scotts
- B: Cairnhill Community Club, Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources (NEA, PUB, Newton Food Centre, Scotts Rd / Cairnhill Rd), Anglo-Chinese School (Junior)
- C: Alliance Francaise De Singapour, Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road), Anglo-Chinese School (Primary), Balmoral Plaza, Barker Road Methodist Church, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Newton MRT station exits before the opening of the Downtown line
A C151B train at Newton MRT station
- "Timeline of NSL disruption due to flooded MRT tunnel". Channel NewsAsia. 8 October 2017. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- Khan, Ahmad (4 February 2018). "Commuters try out X-ray machines, metal detectors in Newton MRT station security exercise". Channel NewsAsia.
- "Commuters to undergo security screening at MRT stations as part of 6-month LTA trial". Channel NewsAsia. 5 November 2018.