Newton Public Schools
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (October 2008)|
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (September 2009)|
The Newton Public Schools are organized into: Elementary School K-5, Middle School 6-8, and High School 9-12 arrangement with a projected enrollment of 11,237 students for FY06.
|Level||Number of Schools||Student Avg.||Student:Teacher Goal|
- Angier Elementary School
- Bowen Elementary School
- Burr Elementary School
- Cabot Elementary School
- Countryside Elementary School
- Franklin Elementary School
- Horace Mann Elementary School
- Lincoln-Eliot Elementary School
- Mason-Rice Elementary School
- Memorial Spaulding Elementary School
- Peirce Elementary School
- Underwood Elementary School
- Ward Elementary School
- Williams Elementary School
- Zervas Elementary School
- Bigelow Middle School
- Charles E. Brown Middle School
- Frank A. Day Middle School
- Oak Hill Middle School
In October, 2011, controversy occurred over the content of a textbook used in World History classes which contained content that was allegedly anti-Semitic. The textbook was later removed from the curriculum.
In July, 2014, The Lion's Roar, the student newspaper of Newton South High School, accused Superintendent David Fleishman of using parts of a speech by Governor Deval Patrick without credit. The accusations were levied by two members of the class of 2014. After admitting that he failed to cite the governor, the Newton School Committee fined Fleishman one week's pay of his $250,000 a year salary.
Violations of Massachusetts Open Meeting Law
On December 19, 2014 the Massachusetts Attorney General found that the Newton Public Schools and School Committee Chair Matthew Hills had committed eight violations of the state's Open Meeting Law in June and July, 2014. The violations occurred in connection with plagiarism by Newton Superintendent David Fleishman. No sanctions were imposed on Hills other than reviewing the law.
- The pupil-teacher ratio goals were established by the School Committee of the Newton Public Schools
- "Parent: Newton South Material Defames Israeli Forces". Newton Tab. October 7, 2011.
- "School Committee in 60 Seconds". Newton Tab. November 15, 2011.
- "Newton Schools Chief Fined for Use of Patrick's Words". Boston Globe. July 24, 2014.
- "AG Rules School Committee Violated Open Meeting Laws". Newton Tab. December 23, 2014.