Newton Township, Miami County, Ohio
|Newton Township, Miami County, Ohio|
Location of Newton Township in Miami County
|• Total||42.0 sq mi (108.8 km2)|
|• Land||41.7 sq mi (108.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||945 ft (288 m)|
|• Density||80.4/sq mi (31.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086641|
Newton Township is one of the twelve townships of Miami County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,354 people in the township, 2,220 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Newberry Township - north
- Washington Township - northeast
- Concord Township - east
- Union Township - south
- Monroe Township, Darke County - southwest corner
- Franklin Township, Darke County - west
- Adams Township, Darke County - northwest corner
The village of Pleasant Hill is located in central Newton Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Miami County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Miami County, Ohio. Chicago: Beers, 1880, 366.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.