Newton on the Moor
|Newton on the Moor|
The Cook and Barker public house
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Newton on the Moor is a village and former civil parish in Northumberland, England. It is located 5 miles (8 km) south of Alnwick, on the old route of the A1 road although the village has now been bypassed just to the east. The village is now in the civil parish of Newton on the Moor and Swarland, which also includes the village of Swarland, south-west of Newton on the Moor. The population of Newton on the Moor and Swarland parish in 2001 was 822, increasing to 905 at the 2011 Census. The village is a conservation area.
A settlement existed at Newton on the Moor in the late 13th century.
Newton-on-the-Moor was formerly a township in Shilbottle parish, in 1866 Newton on the Moor became a civil parish in its own right, on 1 April 1955 Greens and Glantlees, Hazon and Hartlaw and Swarland parishes were merged with Newton on the Moor, on 15 December 1987 the parish was renamed "Newton on the Moor and Swarland". In 1951 the parish (prior to the merge) had a population of 140.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- Office for National Statistics: Neighbourhood Statistics
- "Newton on the Moor Conservation Area Appraisal" (PDF). Alnwick District Council. Retrieved 4 September 2008.[permanent dead link]
- "Keys to the Past, Ref No N4268". Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council. Retrieved 4 September 2008.[dead link]
- Historic England. "Newton Hall (1371158)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "History of Newton on the Moor, in Alnwick and Northumberland". A Vision of Britain through Time. Retrieved 29 January 2022.
- "Relationships and changes Newton on the Moor CP/Tn through time". A Vision of Britain through Time. Retrieved 29 January 2022.
- "Northumberland North Second Registration District". UKBMD. Retrieved 29 January 2022.
- "Population statistics Newton on the Moor CP/Tn through time". A Vision of Britain through Time. Retrieved 29 January 2022.
Media related to Newton on the Moor at Wikimedia Commons