Newtown High School (Queens)
|Newtown High School|
Side view of school
|48-01 90th Street.
Elmhurst, Queens, New York
|Motto||We tower above the rest.|
|School board||New York City Department of Education|
|School district||NYC School District 24|
|Average SAT scores||400 Verbal
398 Writing (2012)
Newtown High School is a high school in Elmhurst, a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Queens. Its multinational student body consists of approximately 2,879 students, with a large percentage of Hispanic and Asian students. Newtown High School celebrated its 120th anniversary in 2017. In 2010, Newtown High School held its graduation at York College, for the first time in over 30 years, rather than other locations such as St. John's University and Forest Park.
The school offers college courses, advanced placement classes in English Language and Literature, Biology, Spanish Language and Literature, Chinese Language, Calculus BC, and Human Geography, among others; a business/technology program; a pre-engineering/technology preparation; as well as an art program.
Newtown High School has teams in a variety of sports, both co-ed and broken down by gender. The sports offered include wrestling, soccer, baseball, cross-country, outdoor track, softball, bowling, handball, volleyball, basketball, tennis, among others. Gymnastics once played a part, but has been discontinued.
Newtown has a newspaper, a Key Club, the student organization, a language club, a poetry club, debate team, mediation, robotics club, photography club, several culture clubs, among others. Newtown also has a notable guitar class, which has performed for QPTV (Queens Public Television) .
Newtown has seen some success with athletics, winning numerous city championships in a variety of athletic competitions. It currently competes in the Public Schools Athletic League (PSAL), and fields a wide number of teams in many different sports. They include:
- Varsity and JV Basketball
- Cross Country
- Indoor/Outdoor Track
- Varsity Soccer
- Varsity and JV Volleyball
- Varsity and JV Baseball
- Varsity and JV Softball
- Indoor/Outdoor Track
- Cross Country
- Robotics Club
- Arthur Nascarella, Actor
- William C. Brennan, Justice, New York Supreme Court
- Peter Lassally, executive producer of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, Late Night with David Letterman, the Late Show with David Letterman and the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
- Richard Grasso, President, New York Stock Exchange
- Crockett Johnson, cartoonist, creator of Barnaby and Harold and the Purple Crayon
- Estée Lauder, cosmetics manufacturer
- Omar Minaya, former General Manager of the New York Mets
- Michael J. Murphy, New York City Police Commissioner
- Carroll O'Connor, actor, best known for his role as Archie Bunker on All in the Family
- Don Rickles, comedian
- Zoe Saldana, actress, class of 1997
- Lenny Schultz, comedian and gym teacher at Newtown High School
- Shaan Shahid, Pakistani actor
- Gene Simmons, member of the rock group Kiss
- Rise Stevens, opera singer
- Johnny Thunders, rock guitarist
- Charlie Villanueva, Professional basketball player, who currently plays for the Dallas Mavericks of the NBA
- Smush Parker, Professional basketball player, who is a former NBA basketball player, most notably as a starter for the Los Angeles Lakers, he is currently not active, and last played overseas.
- Grace Lee Boggs, Civil rights activist, fighter for social justice, author, social activist, philosopher and feminist
- "Newtown High School". insideschools.org. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "Newtown High School". newtownhighschool.org. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "Newtown High School". greatschools.org. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "Newtown High School". nycago.org. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "Newtown High School". redfin.com. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "Hall of Fame," Newtown High School website. Accessed: February 28, 2015.
- "Biography". Shaan Shahid. Retrieved 2 October 2015.