Baile an Chinnéidigh
Coillte HQ in Newtownmountkennedy
|Elevation||82 m (269 ft)|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
|Irish Grid Reference||O262062|
Newtownmountkennedy (Irish: Baile an Chinnéidigh, meaning "Kennedy's town") is a small town in County Wicklow, Ireland. It developed within the historic townland of Ballygarny (Irish: Baile Ó gCearnaigh), although all that remains of the village is an old church and graveyard just 0.45 km outside the town. It acquired its present name in the mid-seventeenth-century, when Sir Robert Kennedy, M.P. for Kildare, made it his principal residence. It is just off the N11 road to Wexford, just south of Kilpedder and south-west of Greystones. It is about 15 km (9.3 mi) north of Wicklow town, 15 km (9.3 mi) south of Bray and approximately 35 km (22 mi) from Dublin. The R772 regional road passes through the village. This was the main Dublin-Wexford route, the N11, but the village was bypassed by the new N11 dual carriageway in 1990.
The headquarters of Coillte, the Irish Forestry Board, are situated in the village forest. Newtownmountkennedy is in the Roman Catholic parish of Kilquade and one of the Kilquade parish's two chapels of ease is located in the village at the junction with the Roundwood Road.
Newtownmountkennedy Primary School (St. Joseph's Boys National School and St. Bridget's Girls National School) is located just west of the village. It was formerly split into three buildings, one for male students, and one for female students, while the third building was reserved for the Centre for Autism. The boys' school was known as St Joseph's, while the girls' school was known as St Bridget's. In 2007, the two schools were merged, leaving the lower classes (Junior infants, Senior infants and First class) in the former girls' school, while the remaining classes (Second class, Third class, Fourth class, Fifth class and Sixth class) took residence in the former boys' school.
The autism centre stayed in the third building. The name given to the new school is Newtownmountkennedy Primary School. The majority of secondary school students travel to the nearby Coláiste Chroabh Abhann in neighbouring Kilcoole.
The area is well served by bus services. Dublin Bus route 184 runs every half an hour connecting the town with Kilpedder, Greystones and Bray. Bus Éireann route 133 runs every hour off peak and up to every 15 minutes on peak connecting the town with Dublin, Bray and Wicklow.
Newtown has a very proud and strong tradition of Gaelic Games. The Gaelic Athletic Association club of Newtown, known in Irish as Báile úi gCearnaigh, is one of the oldest clubs in the country, being founded in 1887. The club currently has two adult teams, one contesting the Senior League and Championship, one contesting the Junior A League and Championship.
There are also numerous underage teams, ranging from Minor (U-18) down to "Super Sevens" (U-8 and younger).
The club has numerous county championships to its name, but the most prestigious being the County Senior Championship, won on two occasions by Newtown. One in 1964, the other in 1975.
Newtown GAA Club plays in the colours Black and White, leading to some fans to dub them "The Magpies", a name of which they are rightly proud having been called so for generations.
Newtown has two football clubs, Newtown United and Newtown Juniors. Newtown Juniors are for players up until the age of 16. After that, they move on to the senior teams of Newtown United. Both teams use the same home ground, the Matt Kelly Community Grounds.
Druids Glen Golf Resort, which hosted the Irish open from 1996 to 1999, is located about a kilometre east from Newtown. Druids Heath Golf Course, another championship course, is also located in Druids Glen. Glen Mill Golf Club is located to the south of the Newtown past Killadreenan.
The Parkview Hotel opened in the village centre in March 2007. The hotel has 60 bedrooms and conference facilities.
Ecologic received planning permission to build a data centre in Newtownmountkennedy, which was to have had an area of 1.1 million square feet (100,000 square metres). This plan has been approved by The Supreme Court in December 2013 after numerous appeals.
There is also a shopping center in the town, which includes a Dunnes Stores, a pharmacy and a cafe.
In its history, Newtown has had 4 of its residents sit on Wicklow County Council. They are:
- James "Jimmy" Gregory (Labour); 1970's
- Patrick "Pat" Doyle (Fianna Fáil); 1991-2004; served as Cathaoirleach of the Council from 2000 to 2001.
- Seamus "Shay" Cullen (Fine Gael); 2014–present
- Dáire Nolan (Independent); 2014–present
|This section does not cite any sources. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Paul Heffernan, footballer currently playing with Scottish Premiership side Dundee F.C..
- Leo Cullen, Leinster Rugby captain.
- Clive Clarke, former footballer.
- "Newtownmountkennedy Legal Town Results". Central Statistics Office. 2011.
- "Newtownmountkennedy". Placenames Database of Ireland. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Ball, F.Elrington History of Dublin 6 Volumes Alexander Thom and Co. 1902-1920 Vol.4 p. 78
- Newtownmountkennedy Primary School website[dead link], newtownprimary.net; accessed 9 March 2015.
- "Hotels In Wicklow - Druids Glen Hotel & Resort Wicklow - Wicklow Hotels - 5 Star Hotel In Wicklow". druidsglen.ie. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Glen Mill - Find Us". glenmillgolfclub.ie. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- https://web.archive.org/20120118054013/http://www.procap.com:80/index.php/en/procap-plastic-caps-contact. Archived from the original on January 18, 2012. Retrieved April 23, 2012. Missing or empty
- "Hotels Wicklow, Newtownmountkennedy Hotel, Wicklow Hotels - Parkview Hotel, Newtownmountkennedy, Co.Wicklow, Ireland". parkviewhotel.ie. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
-  Archived July 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Mitchell pleased Court grants permission for Data Centre in Newtownmountkennedy". greystonesguide.ie. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- BT Fresca Limited. "Stores - Dunnes Stores". dunnesstores.ie. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Newtownmountkennedy.|