Next Algerian presidential election
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Presidential elections are expected to be held in Algeria some time in the future. They were originally scheduled to take place on 18 April 2019, but President Abdelaziz Bouteflika postponed the election in response to protests against his candidacy for a fifth term. Bouteflika resigned on 2 April and Abdelkader Bensalah took office as acting president the following week. On 10 April it was announced that the elections had been re-scheduled for 4 July. On 2 June, the Constitutional Council postponed the elections for a third time, citing a lack of candidates. A new date has not been set.
On 3 March 2019, a day after his 82nd birthday and while undergoing medical tests in Switzerland, President Abdelaziz Bouteflika formally submitted his candidacy, but said in a statement read on state TV that he would not serve a full term if re-elected. Instead, he promised to organise a national conference and set a date for an early election which he would not participate in. The announcement followed weeks of protests against his plan to seek a fifth term in office. A week later, on 11 March 2019, Bouteflika withdrew from the race and postponed the election.
Protests and internet censorship
On 22 February 2019, protests took place in Algiers, Oran, Sétif, Annaba and other Algerian cities over Bouteflika's bid to continue for a fifth term. Algerians reported difficulty accessing online services and the NetBlocks internet observatory published technical evidence of multiple targeted internet disruptions at demonstration flashpoints in Tizi Ouzou and around Algiers.
- "Algeria's constitutional council cancels presidential election". Al Jazeera. 2 June 2019.
- Algerians to elect new parliament amid apathy, president's absence Reuters, 1 May 2017
- "Algeria to hold elections on July 4: presidency". Al Jazeera. 10 April 2019. Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- "Algeria elections planned for 4 July 'impossible', authorities say". BBC News. 2 June 2019.
- People's Democratic Republic of Algeria: Election for President IFES
- "In face of protests, Algeria leader vows to quit early if re-elected". AFP. Retrieved 3 March 2019.
- "Algeria president drops bid for fifth term". BBC. 11 March 2019. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "HOME PAGE,البرنامج-الرئأسي". ghani mahdi (in Arabic).
- "Ali Ghediri premier candidat déclaré à la prochaine présidentielle". Algérie Patriotique. Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- "Algerian Constitutional Council declares presidency vacant". TASS. 3 April 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "Abdelkader Bensalah, un fidèle de Bouteflika qui va assurer l'intérim en Algérie". Le Monde (in French). 4 April 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "Algeria rocked by mass protest against Bouteflika re-election bid". Middle East Eye. 22 February 2019.
- "Algerian police use tear gas as rare anti-government protests enter third day". Reuters. 24 February 2019.
- "Multiple targeted internet disruptions in Algeria amid mass-demonstrations". NetBlocks. 22 February 2019. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- Farid Y. Farid (11 March 2019). "Algerians have been out in force against their president's bid for a fifth term". Quartz Africa. Retrieved 11 March 2019.