Next Great Baker (season 2)
|Next Great Baker (season 2)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||11 (includes one special)|
|Original release||November 28, 2011– January 30, 2012|
The second season of Next Great Baker was televised from November 28, 2011 to January 30, 2012 on TLC. This season was set at the new Carlo's Bake Shop facility at Lackawanna Center in Jersey City, New Jersey.
During this season, the Next Great Baker would win $100,000 cash and a four-page spread in Brides magazine. The winner will also get to work beside Buddy in the bakery, with the winner's first day covered in the episode of Cake Boss following the season finale on January 30, 2012.
Thirteen contestants competed during this season:
|Cimorelli, RyanRyan Cimorelli||30||Construction worker, part-time baker||North Providence, Rhode Island|
|Durden, WesleyWesley Durden||29||Soldier, United States Army||Fayetteville, North Carolina|
|Fitzgerald, ChadChad Fitzgerald||44||High school math teacher||Duncanville, Texas|
|Frank, JasmineJasmine Frank||20||Pastry Chef||Los Angeles, California|
|Frys, TonyTony Frys||23||Baker, small-business owner||Fort Worth, Texas|
|Grubb, HeatherHeather Grubb||31||Stay-at-home mother||Knoxville, Tennessee|
|Hart, MeganMegan Hart||38||Paramedic||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania|
|Lopez, MarissaMarissa Lopez||24||Cake decorator||Pompton Lakes, New Jersey|
|Macia, HeatherHeather Macia||32||Pastry Chef||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Oquendo, CarmeloCarmelo Oquendo||43||Retired gang-unit police officer||Worcester, Massachusetts|
|Reibeling, NadineNadine Reibeling||28||Baker, business owner||New York, New York|
|Vazquez, MinervaMinerva Vazquez||46||Personal chef||Cutler Bay, Florida|
|Williams, SaraSara Williams||39||Baker, small-business owner||Cedartown, Georgia|
|Place||Contestant||Episode 1||Episode 2||Episode 3||Episode 4||Episode 5||Episode 6||Episode 7||Episode 8||Episode 9||Finale|
- (WINNER) This baker won the competition.
- (RUNNER-UP) This baker was the runner-up of the competition.
- (THIRD) This baker placed third overall in the competition.
- (WIN) The baker won individual immunity and the elimination challenge.
- (WIN) The baker(s) won the challenge.
- (HIGH) The baker(s) had one of the best cakes for that challenge, but did not win.
- (IN) The baker(s) advanced to the next week.
- (LOW) The baker(s) was/were a part of the team who lost, but was not the last to move on.
- (LOW) The baker(s) had the worst cake of those who advanced, and was/were the last to move on.
- (OUT) The baker(s) was/were eliminated.
- (IN) The baker(s) had immunity.
- While it was an elimination challenge, it also was considered a baker's challenge, and Nadine was first to select her team for the second half of the finale, her "prize" for winning the challenge.
- Buddy initially announced that Minerva was eliminated. She objected his decision and, citing her passion and willingness to speak up, Buddy reversed himself and eliminated Tony instead.
|Title||Original air date||Contestant
|9||1||"It's Go Time!"||November 28, 2011||Sara|
Thirteen bakers arrive to Lakawanna to start the competition, with the winner getting $100,000, a four-page spread in "Brides" magazine, and the chance to work with Buddy and his family at Carlo's Bakery. In the elimination challenge the bakers were divided into four groups and were given the task of creating one theme cake, which then had to be delivered to Carlo's Bakery. In the end, the fashionista cake lost because it fell apart while being unloaded. Sara was eliminated.
|10||2||"Life-Sized Cakes"||December 5, 2011||Tony|
The elimation challenge was to construct life-sized cake versions of Buddy's sisters. All three cakes were disappointing, so Buddy had them bulldozed. Tony and Minerva were the bottom two at elimination. Buddy decided to send Minerva home, but changed his mind when she showed "passion and drive" by arguing to stay.
|11||3||"Wedding Wonderland"||December 12, 2011||Jasmine|
The bakers were split into three teams, each creating a wedding cake based on a specific theme. Jasmine was eliminated for her overconfidence and weak leadership.
|12||4||"Bakers On Ice"||December 19, 2011||Wesley|
In this holiday themed episode, everyone was split into three teams and were told to make a holiday cake for the Valastro's family Christmas party. Buddy felt all the cakes were good and deemed none of the cakes to be the loser, but that Wesley didn't have the experience necessary to continue on the show. He was eliminated.
|13||5||"Let the Sparks Fly"||December 26, 2011||Minerva|
The bakers were challenged to make cakes that had mechanical elements. Minerva's team lost due to immature mistakes and a carousel that went so fast that Buddy said he would throw up if he was on it. Minerva was happy to be eliminated because she got to see her family; however, Buddy was so aggravated with Minerva's attitude that he closed the Not the Next Great Baker box truck himself.
|14||6||"Gators, Chimps and Bears...Oh My!"||January 2, 2012||Heather M.|
The bakers were divided into two teams to create cakes for a celebration at a zoo. It came down to Heather M. and Chad in the elimination room. Heather was eliminated even though Buddy thought she was very talented.
|15||7||"Here Comes The Bride-zilla!"||January 9, 2012||Heather G.|
The bakers have to please a bridezilla who doesn't want an average wedding cake. In the end, the bakers were tricked by Buddy and the bride was an actress. It came down to Heather G. and Carmelo in the elimination room. Heather G. was eliminated, but informed by Buddy that "America loves you, and I love you."
|16||8||"Headbanging Bakers"||January 16, 2012||Carmelo & Megan|
The bakers have to make a birthday cake for Mauro, the twist is that it has to fit the theme of his heavy-metal birthday. The second day, Buddy declared that two would leave as he was angry about both cakes looking so unprofessional. Neither team won due to flaws in both cakes. Marissa, Nadine and Megan's cake had structural problems with their guitar headpiece falling over destroying the cake. While Carmelo, Chad and Ryan's cake had detail issues, and did not even have "Happy Birthday Mauro" on the cake, making Buddy wonder who the cake was for. Marissa and Ryan were both safe off the start. Carmelo was sent to the box truck first, leaving Chad, Nadine and Megan in the elimination room. Buddy asked Chad to be as strong as he is in elimination in the actual challenges otherwise he'd be the next out. Finally Buddy chose Megan to be the second to the box truck, but told Nadine to prove to him why she belonged there.
|17||9||"Crown-Winning Cakes"||January 23, 2012||Chad|
The bakers have to make a cake for Miss USA, Alyssa Campanella. She tells them a variety of her likes, and Buddy tells them to make a cake suited to her needs. At the four hour remaining mark, Buddy comes in and tells the competitors that they now have half the time, of only two hours. However, they would get a helper in the form of former team mates. Marissa was teamed up with Jasmine, Chad with Wesley, Nadine with Heather M., and Ryan with Carmelo. Alyssa spoke in good regards of Marissa and Nadine's cakes, but felt Ryan's cake represented her but only slightly, and lacked focus, while Chad's cake gave really only a representation of the pageant side but not her journey. Marissa and Nadine were told they move on to the finals, leaving Chad and Ryan in the bottom two. Buddy felt Chad did not live up to the challenge and was eliminated, although he did say his cake was "flawless".
|18||9A||"Finale Pre-Show"||January 30, 2012||N/A|
|This is a special episode that recaps the season up to this point, as well as provide a preview to the season finale that will follow. The special will also answer questions about the competition and its contestants, submitted by viewers. Clinton Kelly (of What Not to Wear) co-hosts the special with Buddy.|
|19||10||"…And the Winner Is?"||January 30, 2012||(1) Ryan, (2) Nadine|
The first challenge requires the final three bakers to take over Carlo's Bakery and sell their own cookies, cakes, pies and Italian pastries to Carlo's customers. To keep track, each of the different items is worth a certain number of tickets. Each of the bakers receives a team of three, a sister, a baker and an assistant. At the end of the challenge, Nadine is announced as the winner, with Ryan being eliminated collecting the lowest number of tickets. The final challenge requires the final two to bake and design a cake that represents their American dream. They have the crew of Carlo's Bakery to help them due to the early time of 2:30AM they have to start baking. They brought their cakes in front of Buddy, Mary and special guest Randy Fenoli of Say Yes to the Dress. Marissa was announced the winner of The Next Great Baker, Season 2.
Shortly after Wesley Durden was eliminated from the competition, he committed suicide on October 24, 2011. Following the telecast on December 19, 2011, when he was eliminated, the program gave the following on-screen tribute after his box truck sendoff: TLC extends its deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Sgt. Wesley Durden, who died October 24. He will be warmly remembered by the cast and crew of "Next Great Baker". TLC opted to delay the announcement of his death until after his elimination was telecast, as the network did not want his death to overshadow the competition.
At the start of the competition, Heather Grubb was 7.5 months into her pregnancy; because of this, reasonable accommodations were made so that the competition would not affect her pregnancy—such accommodations included wearing non-slip shoes instead of skates in "Bakers On Ice", and refraining from heavy lifting. Shortly before the finale's airdate of January 30, 2012, Heather gave birth to her daughter, which she introduced with her husband on the Finale Pre-Show.
- "Shows A-Z – next great baker, the on nbc". the Futon Critic. Retrieved January 15, 2012.
- "Lots of Perks and a Bit of Baking". TLC. November 29, 2011. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- "It's Go Time!". Next Great Baker. Season 2. Episode 1. November 28, 2011. 06:31 minutes in. TLC.
The winner is gonna get to work with me, to learn what it's like to be at Carlo's Bakery, and I'm gonna teach you all my tricks.
- Per TLC TV listings at zap2it for January 30, 2012; the winner will be featured in the "Touchdowns and Tattoos" episode of Cake Boss following the season finale of Next Great Baker.
- "Meet the Season 2 Bakers". TLC. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- "…And the Winner Is?". Next Great Baker. Season 2. Episode 10. January 30, 2012. 17:42 minutes in. TLC.
- New York Daily News: "‘Next Great Baker’ special will cover suicide", January 30, 2012.
- Jacksonville (NC) Daily News: "Reality show viewers shocked to learn contestant died in October"
- Huffington Post: "'Next Great Baker' Contestant Sgt. Wesley Durden Committed Suicide", December 20, 2011.
- International Business Times: "Wesley Durden Death: Interesting Facts About ‘Next Great Baker’ Contestant", January 3, 2012.
- New York Daily News: "‘Next Great Baker’ contestant commits suicide", December 21, 2011.
- TV Guide Canada: "TLC star commits suicide", December 21, 2011.
- "Finale Pre-Show". Next Great Baker. Season 2. Episode 9A. January 30, 2012. TLC.