Nextstrain is a collaboration between researchers in Seattle, United States and Basel, Switzerland which provides a collection of open-source tools for visualising the genetics behind the spread of viral outbreaks.
Its aim is to support public health measures and surveillance by facilitating understanding of the spread and evolution of pathogens. The Nextstrain platform was begun in 2015. Code developed by Nextstrain is made publicly available, via, for example github.com and its data is available and viewable in accessible form via the pages at the website.
According to their website, the Nextstrain team maintains an up-to-date genomic analysis of each of the following pathogens:
- Avian influenza
- Enterovirus D68
- Monkeypox virus
- Seasonal influenza
- West Nile virus
- West African Ebola 2013-16
- Richards, Sarah Elizabeth (26 March 2020). "How coronavirus mutations can track its spread—and disprove conspiracies". www.nationalgeographic.com. Archived from the original on 24 December 2020. Retrieved 25 December 2020.
- "Spread of a novel SARS-CoV-2 variant across Europe in summer 2020". www.unibas.ch. 29 October 2020. Archived from the original on 16 December 2020. Retrieved 25 December 2020.
- Reza, Nosheen (6 April 2020). "nextstrain RNA, DNA, and COVID-19]". earlycareervoice.professional.heart.org. Archived from the original on 25 January 2021. Retrieved 25 December 2020.
- Hadfield, James; Megill, Colin; Bell, Sidney; Huddleston, John; Potter, Barney; Callender, Charlton; et al. (2018-05-22). Kelso, Janet (ed.). "Nextstrain: real-time tracking of pathogen evolution". Bioinformatics. 34 (23): 4121–4123. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/bty407. ISSN 1367-4803. PMC 6247931. PMID 29790939.
- "Nextstrain Real-time tracking of pathogen evolution Section 'Explore pathogens". nextstrain.org. Archived from the original on 26 December 2020. Retrieved 26 December 2020.
- Drake, John (19 Dec 2020). "The Science Behind London's Christmas Coronavirus Lockdown". www.forbes.com. Archived from the original on 22 December 2020. Retrieved 25 December 2020.
- Hodcroft, Emma B.; Zuber, Moira; Nadeau, Sarah; Comas, Iñaki; González Candelas, Fernando; Stadler, Tanja; Neher, Richard A. (28 October 2020). "Emergence and spread of a SARS-CoV-2 variant through Europe in the summer of 2020". medRxiv 10.1101/2020.10.25.20219063v1.
- "Swiss National COVID-19 Science Task Force". Retrieved 2021-12-21.
- "Nextstrain, Sequencing & the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic" (PDF). 2020. Retrieved 2021-12-21.
- "40 Under 40 Healthcare". fortune.com. Archived from the original on 20 October 2020. Retrieved 29 December 2020.
- "Webby Special Achievement". winners.webbyawards.com. Archived from the original on 10 October 2021. Retrieved 29 December 2020.