|Address||1200 Howell Street|
Seattle, Washington, U.S.
|Construction started||March 14, 2017|
|Roof||440 feet (130 m)|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Weber Thompson|
|Number of units||389 condominiums|
|Parking||316 parking stalls|
Nexus is a high-rise residential building in Seattle, Washington, United States. The 40-story, 440-foot (130 m) tower has 389 condominiums, retail space, and a parking garage for 316 vehicles. Nexus is located at 1200 Howell Street in the Denny Triangle neighborhood, adjacent to Interstate 5. The project, developed by Burrard Group, was announced in 2015 and began construction in early 2017. It opened in February 2020.
Vancouver-based developer Burrard Group announced its intention to build a 41-story condominium tower at 1200 Howell Street, its first project in Seattle, in late 2015. The project was named "Nexus", referencing the tower's design as well as its location between South Lake Union, Downtown Seattle, and Capitol Hill. Burrard purchased the project site, a quarter-block surface parking lot, for $14.95 million in May 2016. Reservations and deposits for units began selling on June 7, with buyers camping out overnight and forming long lines at the sales office.
Construction was approved in December 2016, and a ceremonial groundbreaking was held on March 14, 2017. Sales for units in the building began the following week, resulting in 75 percent of units sold within the first few days. The building opened in February 2020 for the first set of new residents.
A temporary certificate of occupancy was issued by the city government in January 2020, with the remaining work later delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic and a statewide construction stoppage. Burrard filed a court complaint against Skanska and its subcontractors for late delivery of the project, valued at $4.7 million, as well as unresolved change orders and water damage during construction.
Nexus's design consists of a series of stacked boxes that are rotated in 8-degree offsets to create a "twisted" look. The tower, designed by Weber Thompson, uses the areas under the boxes for open-air terraces, as well as amenity spaces. Some corners of the tower are "eroded" and form two-story penthouse units that are located throughout the building. The rooftop will have a lounge and view terrace for residents, as well as a private bar and restaurant.
- Stiles, Marc (April 6, 2017). "By the numbers: Building Seattle's new Nexus condo tower". Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- Nexus at Emporis
- "970 Denny". Weber Thompson. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- "Skanska signs $151.6M contract to build Denny Triangle condo tower". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. April 6, 2017. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- "Architecture". Nexus Seattle. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- Levy, Nat (October 29, 2015). "Canadian group plans high-rise condo tower in Denny Triangle". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- Stiles, Marc (April 14, 2016). "40-story condo tower coming to Seattle's new 'vertical village'". Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- "Burrard pays $15M for land to build 40-story Nexus condo tower in SLU". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. May 31, 2016. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- Cohen, Lindsay (June 7, 2016). "Seattle for sale: Condo buyers camp out, line up for project three years out". KOMO 4 News. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- Miller, Brian (December 28, 2016). "January start announced for Nexus". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- "Nexus Ground Breaking & VIP Reception Announced For March 14th". Nexus Seattle. March 6, 2017. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- Stiles, Marc (March 20, 2017). "Seattle's condo market came back in a big way this weekend". Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- Therrien, Alyssa (February 13, 2020). "Seattle's NEXUS tower has welcomed the first of 600 residents". Daily Hive. Retrieved February 18, 2020.
- Korman, Richard (May 4, 2020). "Skanska and Seattle Condo Developer Seek To Resolve Costly Tangle Of Disputes". Engineering News-Record. Retrieved May 29, 2020.
- "Final Recommendation of the Downtown Design Review Board: 1200 Howell Street" (PDF). Seattle Department of Construction & Inspections. July 12, 2016. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- "403 new condos in 40-story Nexus will anchor 'glimmering new neighborhood'". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. April 15, 2016. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- "Weber Thompson tweaks design for 40-story condo tower on Howell St". Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce. July 12, 2016. Retrieved August 11, 2017.