Neyveli Santhanagopalan (born 1963) is an Indian Carnatic vocalist. He has learned from masters such as Shri Thanjavur Sankara Iyer, Shri Maharajapuram Santhanam, and currently learns from Shri TN Seshagopalan.
He has distinguished himself with numerous concerts worldwide, and is the recipient of several awards in India and overseas. He is known for his traditional and purist style of rendering ragas, musical compositions and swaras. Currently, Santhanagopalan anchors for the Jaya TV program "SaRiGaMaPa".
Santhanagopalan's style is distinguished by his adherence to strict raga interpretation, especially in his rigorous manodharma (creative interpretation) and raga sancharams (bringing out the essential elements or qualities of a raga). His conformity and respect for the traditional approach to carnatic vocal music is often reflected by the orthodox nature of his concert attire (the panchagacham and namam).
Santhanagopalan has been acknowledged for his emphasis on purity of nada and tone, and his restrained and measured grasp of kritis is regarded well with the Carnatic musical fraternity. Being a thinking man's musician, his cerebral, methodical approach to raga delineation reflects his own growth in music.
He is a regular and sought-after performer during the December and January Madras "Music Season", and his concerts have consistently sold out in such prestigious venues as Madras Music Academy, Krishna Gana Sabha, Mylapore Fine Arts, and Narada Gana Sabha. He is also a Grade 'A Top' artist with All India Radio and Doordarshan.
Santhanagopalan is a recipient of the Vani Kala Sudhakara of the Sri Thyaga Brahma Gana Sabha. He has also received awards and felicitations from Bharat Kalachar, Kartik Fine Arts and the Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer Foundation. He received the title "Vidhya Tapasvi" by TAPAS Cultural Foundation in 2008 and was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 2014.
Santhanagopalan is also proficient in the Indian veena and percussion instruments. He has made contributions to the field of Carnatic musicology. In addition, Santhanagopalan also regularly contributes to philanthropic causes as was evidenced by his collection from US Benefit concerts as part of the 2005 Tsunami Relief.
- "Songs with sparkle". The Hindu. 18 May 2007. Archived from the original on 14 January 2012. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Profile". neyvelisanthanagopalan.net. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Ramnarayan, V. (13 December 2012). "The resonant guru-shishya symphony". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Warrier, Shobha (18 October 2007). "Now, a Carnatic Idol! - Rediff.com movies". Rediff.com. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Declaration of Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships (Akademi Ratna) and Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) for the Year 2014" (PDF). sangeetnatak.gov.in. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 June 2015. Retrieved 13 June 2015.