|Ng Man Tat|
|Chinese name||吳孟達 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||吴孟达 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||Wú Mèngdá (Mandarin)|
|Jyutping||Ng4 Maang6-daat6 (Cantonese)|
|Pe̍h-ōe-jī||Ngô͘ Bēng-ta̍t (Hokkien)|
2 January 1952 |
Xiamen, Fujian, China
Ng Man-tat (born January 2, 1952) is a Hong Kong actor originally from Fujian, China. He is a veteran actor in the Hong Kong film industry, with dozens of awards, including Best Supporting Actor at the 10th Hong Kong Film Awards for his role in A Moment of Romance.
Ng has worked with Hong Kong actor and director Stephen Chow in a series of "mo lei tau" movies ("mo lei tau" translates to "brainless"/"senseless or random," and it is a genre of slapstick comedy unique to Hong Kong). Ng co-starred with Chow in a Hong Kong TVB television series called The Final Combat (蓋世豪俠) in 1989, and also the popular 1990 film All for the Winner, where he played the role of Chow's uncle. From then on, the two collaborated in numerous "mo lei tau" films in the same style as All for the Winner.
Although Ng Man-tat owes much of his popularity from co-starring with Chow, he has shown to be a versatile actor to successfully portray various roles. An example of such is in his portrayal of Sister 13's father in Portland Street Blues, where he played a man who could not feel anything but abuse and rejection. It proved to be the perfect complement to his usual "mo lei tau" style with Chow. He also played Andy Lau's sidekick in the Lee Rock series in a more serious role. In Hong Kong, Ng is often known as "Uncle Tat", a nickname most likely influenced from his roles as Stephen Chow's sidekick (often as his uncle) in their films. Ng is sometimes credited as Richard Ng.
In 2006 Ng starred in Taiwanese drama The Hospital as Tang Guotai (唐國泰) a professor and director of surgery. He was subsequently nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the 42nd Golden Bell Awards in 2007.
- God of River Lok (1975)
- The Legend of the Book and the Sword (1976)
- The Romantic Swordsman (1978)
- Chor Lau-heung (1979)
- Police Cadet '84 (1984)
- The Duke of Mount Deer (1984)
- Police Cadet '85 (1985)
- Sword Stained with Royal Blood (1985)
- The Battlefield (1985)
- Heir to the Throne Is... (1986)
- The Legend of the Book and the Sword (1987)
- The Final Combat (1989)
- The Justice of Life (1989)
- The Witty Attorney (1999)
- The Duke of Mount Deer (2000)
- The New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung (2001)
- The Hospital (2006)
- Love Strategy (2008)
- OCTB (2017)
- (in Chinese) HK Film Awards 10th Hong Kong Film Awards winners and nominees Retrieved 2011-06-08
- (in Chinese) Taiwan Television 42nd Golden Bell Awards homepage (2007). Retrieved 2010-09-25
- "gregorywongThank you great master! Watching and learning from you everyday is my greatest reward on this project!! #達哥". Instagram. 2015-12-09. Retrieved 2015-12-14.