Nga Kor Ming
|Yang Berhormat Tuan
Nga Kor Ming
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
8 March 2008
|Preceded by||M. Kayveas (BN – PPP)|
|Member of the Perak State Legislative Assembly
for Pantai Remis
29 November 1999
|Preceded by||Wong Chong Sang (BN)|
|Succeeded by||Wong May Ing (DAP)|
|DAP Youth Chief|
|Born||Nga Kor Ming
11 November 1972
|Political party||Democratic Action Party – Pakatan Rakyat|
|Relations||cousin of Ngeh Koo Ham|
Solicitor and Advocate
Nga Kor Ming (Chinese: 倪可敏; pinyin: Ní Kě Mǐn; 11 November 1972), also known as David Nga, is a Malaysian politician and is the current Member of Parliament for the seat of Taiping, Perak. He is a member of the Democratic Action Party (DAP) in the Pakatan Rakyat opposition coalition, and serves as the party's Assistant National Treasurer.
Education and professional career
He became Member of Parliament for Taiping, Perak after defeating President of the People's Progressive Party (PPP) Datuk M. Kayveas with a majority of 11,298 votes in the General Election on 8 March 2008. He has also been State Assemblyman for Pantai Remis, Perak since the 1999 General Election. In 2008, with the formation of the Perak government by the coalition of DAP, PKR and PAS (known as Pakatan Rakyat), Nga Kor Ming was appointed to the state executive committee, with the portfolios of Education, Local Government, Housing and Public Transport. Perak had previously been ruled continuously by the Barisan Nasional (or its predecessor the Alliance) since the independence of Malaya (later Malaysia) in 1957.
In 2007, he was recognised as one of Ten Outstanding Young Malaysians by the International Junior Chamber of Commerce and the Ministry of Youth and Sports in the category of 'Politics and Government'. This award was notable as it rarely goes to opposition politicians.
In 2011, Nga Kor Ming allegedly used the term "metallic black" to possibly describe Zambry, during political rallies in Kamunting. Nga Kor Ming apologised for his racist remarks for calling Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir a "metallic black person". It was believed that he was referring to Dr Zambry's skin colour or Indians when he uttered the phrase in various ceramah as seen in YouTube, which he subsequently denied.
The apology was accepted by DAP national chairman Karpal Singh, however, it is believed that no disciplinary action was taken although DAP was known as a multi-racial party and its leaders were not known to pass racist remarks against any community or race until the racial slur by Nga Kor Ming.
In 2012, Nga Kor Ming sued blogger sekupangdua, whose true identity is Ahmad Sofian Yahya at Ipoh High Court for exemplary damages, aggravated damages and an order of injunction against further publication of defamatory words.
It has been revealed that his wife's company was previously awarded the contract to make lounge suits for Ipoh City councillors when Pakatan Rakyat was ruling Perak.
DAP Perak stresses that MBI's award of tailoring contract was done by the council's tender board by way of open tender, it is believed that Nga did not interfere in the committee overlooking the open tender process. The subject matter is a contract for 24 lounge suit for MBI councillors at the price of RM650 each and a total price of RM14,400.00.
Nga's wife's company, which submitted a bid for RM650 per suit, ended up being awarded the job sometime in 2008. The open tender involved 4 other tailor companies and Nga's wife's company Ethan and Elton was awarded the contract despite being the most expensive at RM650, the lowest bidder Goodman Tailor having tendered for RM450.
The DAP disciplinary committee cleared Nga Kor Ming of any power abuse in the awarding of a lounge suit contract to his wife's company.
|1999||P65 Beruas N32 Pantai Remis||Nga Kor Ming (DAP)||9,896||55.86%||Wong Chong Sang (MCA)||7,449||42.05%||2,447|
|2004||P68 Beruas N37 Pantai Remis||Nga Kor Ming (DAP)||9,703||55.02%||Wong Chong Sang (MCA)||7,400||41.96%||2,303|
|2008||P68 Beruas N38 Pantai Remis||Nga Kor Ming (DAP)||12,188||61.83%||Ooi Jing Ting (MCA)||7,112||36.08%||5.076|
|2013||P65 Ipoh Barat N29 Kepayang||Nga Kor Meng (DAP)||10,948||62.32%||Chang Kok Aun (MCA)||6.344||36,12%||4,604|
|2008||P60 Taiping, Perak||Nga Kor Ming (DAP)||28,098||59.63%||M. Kayveas (PPP)||16,800||35.65%||11,298|
|2013||Nga Kor Ming (DAP)||37,275||58.32%||Tan Lian Hoe (PGRM)||25,530||39.94%||11,745|
- "Nga Kor Ming, Y.B. Tuan" (in Malay). Parliament of Malaysia. Archived from the original on 28 June 2009. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- "DAP: Leadership". Democratic Action Party. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- "Nga kor Ming - About". www.ngakorming.com. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Nga says sorry over metallic black jibe". The Star (Malaysia). Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- "Racial slur against Zambry uncalled for: Karpal". The Sunday Daily. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Nga filed RM10 million Libel suit against pro-umno's Blogger at Ipoh High Court". Nga Kor Ming's Blog. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "Tailored for Abuse of Power". Stop The Lies. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "DAP clear Nga of 'lounge-suit' corruption accusations". The Malaysian Insider. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 11 July 2010. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "2013 Malaysia General Election NEGERI PERAK P65 Ipoh Barat N29 Kepayang". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 5 May 2013. Results only available for the 2013 election.
- "2013 Malaysia General Election NEGERI PERAK P60 Taiping". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 5 May 2013. Results only available for the 2013 election.