Ngaire Woods (pronounced "nyree") is Dean of the Blavatnik School of Government and Professor of Global Economic Governance at the University of Oxford. She founded and is the Director of the Global Economic Governance Programme, and is co-founder (with Robert O. Keohane) of the Oxford-Princeton Global Leaders Fellowship programme. She was born in New Zealand.
Woods was named inaugural Dean of the Blavatnik School of Government in 2011. Her research focuses on global economic governance, the challenges of globalization, global development, and the role of international institutions.
Ngaire Woods has served as an Advisor to the IMF Board, to the UNDP Human Development Report, and to the Commonwealth Heads of Government. She was a regular presenter of the Analysis Program for BBC Radio 4, and in 1998 presented her own BBC TV series on public policy. She has also served as a member of the IMF European Regional Advisory Group, and Chair of a World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council. She is currently a Rhodes Trustee, a Non-Executive Director of Arup, a member of the Advisory Group of the Center for Global Development (Washington DC), a member of the Board of the Center for International Governance Innovation (Waterloo), a member of the Academic and Policy Board of Oxonia, and a Trustee of the Europeaum.
Woods was educated at the University of Auckland where she graduated with a BA in economics and a LLB (Hons) in law. She studied at Balliol College, Oxford as a New Zealand Rhodes Scholar, completing an M.Phil in International Relations (with Distinction) and a D.Phil. From 1990 to 1992, she was a Junior Research Fellow at New College, Oxford and subsequently taught at the Government Department at Harvard University before taking up her Fellowship at University College, Oxford.
- Woods, N. The Globalizers: the IMF, the World Bank, and their Borrowers, Cornell University Press, March 2006; ISBN 0-8014-4424-1
- Woods, N. The Political Economy of Globalization, Macmillan, 2000
- Woods, N. "Exporting Good Governance: Temptations and Challenges in Canada’s Aid Program" (with Jennifer Welsh, Laurier University Press, 2007)
- Woods, N. "Making Self-Regulation Effective in Developing Countries" (with Dana Brown, Oxford University Press, 2007)
- Woods, N. (Editor) Explaining International Relations since 1945, Oxford University Press, 1996; ISBN 0-19-874196-0
- Woods, N. (Co-Author) Inequality, Globalization, and World Politics, Oxford University Press, 1999; ISBN 0-19-829567-7
- Mattli, W and Woods, N (Co-Author) The Politics of Global Regulation, Princeton University Press March 2009; ISBN 0-691-13961-X
- Blavatnik School of Government announcements University of Oxford, 6 October 2011
- "The Governors". The Ditchley Foundation.
- "Professor Ngaire Woods, Dean, Blavatnik School of Government".