Ngee Ann Polytechnic
|Principal||Clarence Ti Boon Wee |
|Campus||0.336 km2 (0.130 sq mi)|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Singapore|
Ngee Ann Polytechnic (Abbreviation: NP) is an institution of higher learning (IHL) in Singapore with more than 16,000 full-time and 1,500 part-time students, staff of more than 1,600 and 145,000 alumni. As an industry-oriented alternative to a broader based high school education, polytechnic graduates in Singapore are sought after for work or many continue to complete university degrees. In contrast to polytechnics in the USA and UK, polytechnics in Singapore admit majority of its students after middle school which is after 10 years of formal education. Diplomas in a specialized area of study, for example Biomedical Science, are awarded after completing 3 years of studies.
The polytechnic was established in 1963 as Ngee Ann College with 116 students. The current campus size is 33.6 hectares located in Clementi Road, Singapore.
The polytechnic offers 49 full-time diploma courses covering diverse interests from business, design and environment, media and the humanities to engineering, technology, health and life sciences.The courses are offered through 9 academic schools. The polytechnic also offers part-time programmes for adult learners through the CET Academy.
- School of Business & Accountancy
- School of Design & Environment
- School of Engineering
- School of Film & Media Studies
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- School of InfoComm Technology
- School of Life Sciences & Chemical Technology
- School of Interdisciplinary Studies
The polytechnic also offers part-time programmes for adult learners through the CET Academy. Established in 1985, the CET Academy now trains more than 10,000 adults and conducts over 200 courses every year. Through a series of lectures, workshops, seminars and conferences, students are able to interact and gain new expertise with fellow students and lecturers.
Ngee Ann Learning Model
The polytechnic was one of the first institutions of higher learning to articulate a broad-based and multidisciplinary approach to learning. The Ngee Ann Learning Model (NLM) was developed with the understanding that Singapore’s knowledge-based economy requires well-rounded, employable individuals with both hard and soft skills.
Under the NLM, students can choose from some 70 elective modules in areas such as business communication, innovation and enterprise, culture and communication, personal mastery and development, arts and humanities, design, and science and technology. These modules make up 15 percent of the curriculum and are offered by the School of Interdisciplinary Studies.
Unique Learning Platforms
The polytechnic offers some unique learning platforms, which include:
- Dialogue in the Dark, a social enterprise run by the School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- m:idea, a media conglomerate operated by students from the School of Film & Media Studies
- Greenhub, a learning facility in the lush greenery of a park, for landscape design and horticulture students
Programmes & Scholarships
- The NP Youth Academy setup by the polytechnic offers programmes for every student anchored in the areas of leadership, character building, and personal development
- The Christieara Programme is a talent development programme designed to stretch the potential of high performing students through flagship initiatives such as Overseas Merit Fellowships and Service Learning trips.
- The polytechnic awards more than 1,000 scholarships every year, and over 6,000 students benefit from financial grants amounting to about $15 million a year.
- The polytechnic offers more than 100 student clubs and societies in sports, arts & culture, special interests, and community service.
- The Sandbox is an innovation incubator providing resources and mentorship to enable students to turn their ideas into reality, and promoting entrepreneurship
More than 4,000 students from the polytechnic go on an overseas trip every year.
Sports & Recreation
- Convention Centre -
- Sports Complex
- Music Box
- Studio 27
- The Loft@94, apartment block for students
- The Attic
- Student Plaza
- Co-Op (Mini Mart)
- Lifestyle Library
- Adventure Park
- Swimming Pool (Olympic-sized)
- Basketball court
- Tennis court (Rooftop)
- Track and Field
- Squash court
- Futsal court
- Netball court
- Optometry Centre
- Green Mall
Lien Ying Chow Library
- Lifestyle Library
- Academic Library
- Wealth Creation InfoCentre
- Lien Ying Chow Gallery
- Electronic Resources and Databases
- Makan Place @ Blk 51
- Munch @ Blk 73
- Poolside @ Blk 16
- Food Club @ Blk 22
- Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf @ Blk 58
- Cupplets @ Sports Complex
- Sakae Sushi @ Blk 72
- Splash n Decker @ Atrium
- Subway @ Makan Place
- Old Chang Kee @ Munch
- Each A Cup @ Lifestyle Library
The polytechnic was conferred the Singapore Quality Class Star Award for demonstrating business excellence. The polytechnic was also awarded the President’s Award for the Environment in 2014.
The polytechnic produces outstanding graduates every year, which include:
- 10 Public Service Commission (PSC) Scholars
- 7 accepted into NUS Medical School
- 12 Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Scholars
- 1st Singaporean to win Cannes and Golden Horse Awards
- Anthony Chen - Filmmaker and first Singaporean to win the Camera d'Or award in the Cannes Film Festival
- Alan Tam - Music Artiste
- Alaric Tay- Actor
- Andie Chen - Actor
- Boo Junfeng - Filmmaker
- Cruz Teng - Programme Director at MediaCorp 93.3FM
- Derrick Hoh - Music Artiste
- Hedirman Supian - Media Operations, Facebook Singapore
- Jamie Yeo - Presenter at ESPN and Radio DJ at Power 98
- Jean Danker - Radio DJ at MediaCorp Class 95FM
- Justin Ang — Radio DJ at MediaCorp Class 95FM
- Lee Li Lian - Member of Parliament, Singapore
- Nick Teo - Actor
- Richard Yeo Swee Chye - Scientist, Inventor & Founder of SuperUSA Nutrition Inc & Multi Sensing Inc
- Samuel Wong - Artistic Director, Musiclogist
- Sim Wong Hoo - Founder of Creative Technology
- Sonia Chew - Radio DJ at MediaCorp 987FM
- Vanessa Fernandez - Music Artiste and Programme Director at MediaCorp 987FM
- Vernetta Lopez - Radio DJ at MediaCorp Gold 90.5FM
- Tommillusions: Professional Magician (Magic (illusion)), International Brotherhood of Magicians
- "Ministry of Education, Singapore: Speeches - Speech by Mr Heng Swee Keat at Ngee Ann Polytechnic 50th Anniversary Celebrations Launch Event". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2015-09-07.