Ngee Ann Polytechnic
|Politeknik Ngee Ann|
|Principal||Clarence Ti Boon Wee |
|Campus||0.336 km2 (0.130 sq mi)|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Singapore|
Ngee Ann Polytechnic (Abbreviation: NP; Chinese: 义安理工学院; Malay: Politeknik Ngee Ann) is the second polytechnic established in Clementi, Singapore, founded in 1963 as Ngee Ann College with 116 students. It was renamed Ngee Ann Technical College in 1968, before adopting its current name in 1982.
The polytechnic has an enrolment of about 16,000 full-time students, 2,000 part-time students and an alumni community of about 130,000.
The campus is spread over 33.6 hectares at the fringe of the Bukit Timah residential district.
The polytechnic offers 48 full-time diploma courses that cover diverse areas in business & accountancy, design & environment, engineering, film, sound & video, health sciences, humanities & social sciences, infocomm technology, mass communication, life sciences & chemical technology in 8 academic schools.
- 1 Academic Matters
- 2 Academic Schools
- 3 Facilities
- 4 Mobile eLearning
- 5 Notable Alumni
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Upon graduation, students are awarded a polytechnic diploma in the course they were enrolled in. Graduates can either join the workforce or continue to further their studies in local or overseas universities. The universities may grant transfer credit based on the modules taken in their course, as well as the grades attained. Some graduates can also immediately enter the 2nd or 3rd year and bypass the 1st year itself.
The polytechnic gives out a few awards to graduates
- Gold and Silver Medals
Gold and silver medals are awarded to the most outstanding and next most outstanding graduates of the courses respectively, in terms of both academic performance and co-curricular activity (CCA) participation. To qualify for a gold or silver medal, students must obtain overall academic performance preferably with cumulative grade point average of 3.75 or higher, and a commendable CCA record preferably with at least a Bronze certificate of achievement in their CCA.
- Prizes for Academic Performance
Prizes for Academic Performance are awarded to graduates with the most outstanding and the next most outstanding academic performance in each course. Prizes are awarded purely on academic merit, not CCA performance.
- Diplomas with Merit
Diplomas with Merit are awarded to the top 10 percent of the graduating students for each course. To qualify for a diploma with merit, student must obtain a cumulative GPA of preferably 3.5 or higher
Scholarships & Special Programmes
- The Christieara Programme
Implemented in 2002, the comprehensive three-year talent development programme is specially designed to stretch the potential of participating students and enhance their career preparation and academic progression beyond Ngee Ann. The programme encompasses empowerment camps, workshops, overseas service learning and an all-expense paid overseas merit fellowship to Australia, the United Kingdom or the United States of America for a liberal arts or environmental studies programme. The programme is only available to students who have excellent academic achievements.
- Sir Gareth Roberts Memorial Scholarship
Established in 2006 in memory of the late Welsh physicist Sir Gareth Roberts who assisted and led in the polytechnic, four academically talented freshmen with good leadership skills can receive this bond-free scholarship which covers tuition fees, a notebook allowance as well as the cost of any talent development programmes, as well as an opportunity to participate in the Christieara Programme.
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic Scholarship
Academically talented freshmen with good leadership skills can receive this bond-free scholarship which covers tuition fees, a notebook allowance as well as the cost of any talent development programmes, as well as an opportunity to participate in the Christieara Programme.
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic Merit Award
The award of $1,800 is awarded to freshmen who have achieved excellent academic performance and co-curricular activity achievements. Also offers an opportunity to participate in the Christieara Programme.
- The School of Professional Development:
In 1975, The School of Professional Development was initiated by Dr M D P Dissanayake,FCMA, CPA, CGMA, PhD, the Lecturer of the Ngee Ann Tehnical College, at the Department of Business Studies. It was Dr Dissanayake who proposed the development of the School and submitted a Project Report to the College Council. After obtaining the approval, the School was able to conduct fully fledged courses for the Institute of Bankers, Institute of Chartered Secretaries, Institute of Cost and Management Accountants and the Association of Certified Accountants, UK. Mr Lim Seah Eng, Head of the Department of Business Studies fully supported the formation of the School.
Examinations are conducted near the end of each semester.
Credit units are assigned to each module. Students are graded based on the performance of both the continuous assessment and examinable modules. Students are assessed based on their daily work, projects and tests for continuous assessment modules and there is no examination for these modules. For examinable modules, students are assessed based on their coursework and examination. A maximum of 4.0 is attainable.
As of 2014, Ngee Ann Polytechnic had various schools.:
- School of Business & Accountancy
- School of Design & Environment
- School of Engineering
- School of Film & Media Studies
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- School of InfoComm Technology
- School of Life Sciences & Chemical Technology
- School of Interdisciplinary Studies
CET Academy (CET)
The CET Academy was launched by the Acting Minister for Manpower Mr. Gan Kim Yong on 21 October 2008. It takes over the operations of the Centre for Professional Development (CPD), established in 1985, and was rebranded to spearhead NP's effort in offering adult education and training, and championing lifelong learning.
The Continuing Education and Training Academy offers courses and training programmes for professional upgrading and retraining. The Centre trains more than 5,000 people annually through 300 courses each year.
Overseas Collaboration - Newcastle University
Ngee Ann in collaboration with Newcastle University and Singapore Institute of Technology offers engineering programs for Ngee Ann Diploma students wherein they will be able to finish a bachelor's degree in two years instead of three. Some of the programmes are:
- Marine Engineering
- Naval Architecture
- Offshore Engineering
Leisure, Sports and Recreation
- Dialogue in the Dark
- Convention Centre
- Music Box
- The Loft@94
- Studio 27
- The Attic
- Student Plaza
- Cheers (closed down)
- Co-Op (Mini Mart)
- Lifestyle Library
- Adventure Park
- Swimming Pool (Olympic-sized)
- Basketball court
- Tennis court
- Track and Field Stadium
- Squash court
- Futsal court
- Netball court
- Makan Place
- Poolside canteen
- Canteen 4
- Sakae Sushi @ Blk 72
- Splash n Decker @ Atrium
- 8 Fahrenheit (closed down)
- Cupplets @ Poolside
- Subway @ Makan Place
- Old Chang Kee @ Munch
- Each A Cup in the Library
- Mos Burger (closed down)
- Coffee Bean LT58
- Food Club @ Blk 22
The use of notebook computers has become an integral part of the learning experience in Ngee Ann. It gives students the flexibility to work on assignments, surf the Internet for information, access module web-sites, participate in online discussions, and communicate with tutors and classmates through email at convenience, both on and off campus. Blackboard is the web platform used for Mobile eLearning.
The only course that does not require students to have their own notebook computers is Health Sciences (Nursing). However, Nursing students are required to own a PDA.
Students enrolled in Film & Media Studies, Audio-Visual Technology and Multimedia & Animation courses are required to own Apple Macbooks.
- Warren Masilamony — TV Producer and Director at WTV Channel 44 in Perth, Australia
- Sim Wong Hoo - Founder of Creative Technology
- Alan Tam - Hong Kong singer
- Jean Danker - Radio DJ at MediaCorp Class 95FM
- Vernetta Lopez - Radio DJ at MediaCorp Gold 90.5FM
- Tzang Merwyn Tong - Filmmaker of A Wicked Tale
- Jamie Yeo - ESPN Star Sports presenter
- Richard Yeo Swee Chye - Scientist, Inventor & Founder of SuperUSA Nutrition Inc & Multi Sensing Inc
- Justin Ang — Radio DJ and Assistant Programme Director at MediaCorp 987FM
- Derrick Hoh - Pop Artiste under Warner Music
- Cruz Teng - Radio DJ and Asst Programme Director at MediaCorp 93.3FM
- Tan Li Yi — Previous MediaCorp 93.3FM DJ / Present Lecturer of Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Alaric Tay- MediaCorp Channel 5 Actor / Fly Entertainment Artiste
- Hedirman Supian — Deputy Digital Media Editor, TODAY newspaper
- Boo Junfeng - Filmmaker
- Lee Li Lian — Member of Parliament, Singapore
- Vanessa Fernandez - Musician and former radio DJ at MediaCorp 987FM
- Samuel Wong - Artistic Director, Musiclogist
- Andie Chen - Mediacorp Actor
- Lim Koong Hwee - Mediacorp Director & Trainer at Singapore Media Academy
- Anthony Chen- Movie Director, first Singaporean to ever win an award in the Cannes Film Festival (Camera d'Or)
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic course brochure
- Ngee Ann Newcastle Marine Programmes