The Ngiti , or South Lendu, is an ethnolinguistic group located in the Ituri Province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Ngiti speakers call their language Ndruna. In 1991, the Ngiti numbered 100,000 located in the Irumu territory south of Bunia. During the Ituri conflict, the Front for Patriotic Resistance of Ituri was formed as a Ngiti militia group and political party.
Unusual numeral system
Ngiti is reported to have a base-32 number system with base-4 cycles. The following is a list of some Ngiti numerals.
Notes and references
- ^ Ngiti at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
- ^ Nordhoff, Sebastian; Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2013). "Ngiti". Glottolog. Leipzig: Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology.
- ^ Laurie Bauer, 2007, The Linguistics Student’s Handbook, Edinburgh
- ^ Ngiti from Ethnologue
- ^ "DRC: Who's who in Ituri – militia organisations, leaders", IRIN, 20 April 2005
- ^ Hammarström, Harald (2006), "Rarities in Numeral Systems", Proceedings of Rara & Rarissima Conference (PDF)