Nguyễn Bình born Nguyễn Phương Thảo (1906-1951) was a Lieutenant-general in the Viet Minh. He was imprisoned by the French on the island of Poulo Condore in the early 1920s. Although not a communist, he was sent by Ho Chi Minh in 1945 to establish a resistance to French rule in Cochinchina where he established his base of operations in the Plain of Reeds near Saigon. Described as "cruel, indefatigable, pitless, authoritarian" he nevertheless became a hero to the people of South Vietnam.
Despite exceptional success in leading raids and ambushes against the French during general Võ Nguyên Giáp's retreat of 1950 defeats at Vĩnh Yên, Mạo Khê, and the River Đáy, Bình was blamed for reverses. He was executed by agents of General Vo Nguyen Giap after being slightly wounded during a skirmish with Cambodian troops.
- Bodard, Lucien (1963). The Quicksand War: Prelude to Vietnam. Toronto: Little, Brown and Company. pp. 15–16.
- Donald W. Hamilton The Art of Insurgency: American Military Policy and the Failure of Strategy in Southeast Asia 1998 Page 75 "During the following year Viet Minh fortunes were reversed. Defeats at Vinh Yen, Mao Khe, and the Day River severely shocked Giap. Circumstances became so desperate that Ho Chi Minh had trouble retaining his position until a scapegoat, by the name of Nguyen Binh was found. As leader of the regional forces, Nguyen Binh had provided perhaps the best possible diversionary tactics in the raids and ambushes through which he had led his guerrilla units..."
- Xavier Guillaume La Terre du Dragon Tome 1 - Page 71 ".. les Français tentèrent de détruire les installations du Viêt-Minh et de se saisir de son chef, Nguyên Binh (1906-1951)."
- Bình Nguyễn Nguyễn Bình, Trung tướng đầu tiên của Quân đội nhân dân Việt Nam Đồng hương Hải Phòng tại Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh - 2004 (Reminiscences on Nguyễn Bình, 1908-1951, the first Vietnamese Lieutenant-general; collection of articles.)
- Kim Dung, Chí Thăńg, Việt Hải Bác Hô ̀vơí các tươńg lĩnh 2000 "Trung tướng Nguyễn Bình (1906-1951), tên thật là Nguyễn Phương Tháo, quê ớ Hưng Yên. Thuớ nhỏ theo học tại quê nhà, saura Hà Nội. Năm 1926, ông tham gia lễ truy điệu Phan Chu Trinh nên ..."
- Đức Hiếu Đỗ - Từ điển văn học: bộ mới 2004 "Ông quen biết và kết nghĩa với Nguyễn Phuơng 'I`hão, túc Trung tướng Nguyễn Bình (1906-1951) tù 1931, lúc Nguyễn Bình mói vào Sài Gồn."
- Naissance d'un Etat-parti: le Viêt Nam depuis 1945 Christopher E. Goscha, Benoît de Tréglodé - 2004 Page 333 "It is also possible that the ICP section still operating in the delta under Trường Chinh had provided instructions to Nguyễn Bình by June 1945, but this is not yet proven. Until more hard evidence Comes to light, I think that Nguyễn Bình was still marching to his own drum, doing what he thought he should do Without receiving any formal instructions from “above”, other than occasional chats with Trần Huy Liệu."