Nguyen Xuan Minh
Nguyễn Xuân Minh is the Chairman of Techcom Securities, a wholly owned subsidiary of Techcombank - a leading joint stock bank in Vietnam. Techcom Securities is the second largest securities company in Vietnam in terms of revenue and profit. TCBS helps domestic companies raise in aggregate more than U$1 billion per year via Debt and Equity Capital Markets in Vietnam. It also has more than 70% market share in trading of local listed corporate bonds in Vietnam. In 2016, Techcom Securities was named the Best Bond House in Vietnam for 2007-2016 by Alpha Southest Asia, and the Best Debt Capital Markets House in Vietnam by FinanceAsia. Prior to joining Techcom Securities, Minh founded Vietnam Asset Management (VAM) in 2007. He was VAM's CEO & CIO and subsequently became its Chairman. Minh is also Chairman of the Board of Techcom Bond Fund, the largest local bond fund in Vietnam.
Minh was born in February 3, 1971 in Hanoi, Vietnam during the peak of the Vietnam War. In 1976 after the end of the war, Minh's parents moved the family back to their home town of Ho Chi Minh City. Minh's most notable childhood achievements include winning the Ho Chi Minh City Judo Championship and the First Prize in Physics - Ho Chi Minh City's High School Competition, both in 1986. From 1986 to 1988, Minh studied at Thanh My Tay High School (current name: Gia Dinh) in Ho Chi Minh City. During this time, he was taught by two well-known teachers: Mr. Le Quang Anh (teacher in Mathematics) and Mr. Le Quang Diem (teacher in Physics).
In 1989, Minh went to the Soviet Union under a full government scholarship to study at the Azerbaijan State Oil Academy, Baku, Azerbaijan, then subsequently at the Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas, Moscow, Russia and received a Master of Science Degree in Oil & Gas - Mechanical Engineering in 1994. Soon after, Minh received another Master's Degree in Applied Finance and Investment from FINSIA in Australia. Minh speaks Vietnamese, English and Russian. Minh lives in Hanoi.
Minh joined Franklin Templeton Investments under Dr. Mark Mobius's Global Emerging Market Group in 1997. He started as the Chief of Templeton's Vietnam representative office. Minh was relocated to Singapore one year later, where he was eventually promoted to the position of Senior Vice President. In 2005, Minh was co-managing two of Templeton's Asian equity funds, whose yearly performance ranked 2nd and 8th amongst a large peer group of managed Asian investment funds according to Micropal. Near the end of 2006, Minh left Templeton to co-found Vietnam Asset Management (VAM) to take advantage of the investment potential offered as a result of Vietnam's booming economic growth. Under Minh's leadership as CEO & CIO, VAM-managed Vietnam equity funds consistently outperformed the benchmark VN-Index and several other peers by a significant margin throughout the years. Most recently, Minh joined Techcom Securities as its Chairman. Within 2 years, Minh helped transform Techcom Securities from a relatively modest brokerage house to the second largest securities institution in Vietnam, with many awards granted by prestigious regional financial publications.
In addition, Minh received his CFA charter as a Chartered Financial Analyst in 2003. He is also a member of various professional and business associations in Vietnam and overseas. Minh is a Board Director of Vietnam Airlines, the national airline of Vietnam. Minh has held positions as a board director for several Vietnamese public and private companies. Minh is a licensed fund manager in Vietnam.
Minh is a regular contributor to CNBC Asia, Bloomberg, FBNC, the Saigon Times Daily, and various other local and international media outlets to discuss issues concerning Vietnam's financial markets. In the January 2009 edition of the Vietnam Economic Times, Minh offered advice to investors in Vietnam's equity markets to be wary of the lack of transparency regarding large potential non-operating losses in many Vietnamese companies and suggested the functioning of Vietnam's equity markets would benefit from better disclosure by Vietnamese companies. In October 2009, Minh was the keynote speaker in Kuala Lumpur as part of HLG Unit Trust's 'Invest in Vietnam' Campaign.
- Linkedin Profile
- Techcom Securities Website, 2017.
- Techcom Securities Facebook, 2017.
- Techcombank Website, 2017.
- Cafef.vn:, "Techcom Securities: Doanh thu năm 2016 đạt 826 tỷ đồng - tăng 33%", 2017.
- Cafef.vn:, "Techcom Securities vượt mặt lợi nhuận 2 ông lớn top 3 nhờ dịch vụ này", 2016.
- Alpha Southest Asia Website, 2017.
- FinanceAsia Website
- Vietnam Asset Management Website, 2017.
- Award for VAM-managed VEMF Fund, February 2014.
- Award for VAM-managed HLG Vietnam Fund, May 2012.
- Award for VAM-managed HLG Vietnam Fund, June 2011.
- Award for VAM-managed VVSF Fund, April 2010.
- Cafef.vn:, "Chủ tịch TCBS Nguyễn Xuân Minh: 2 năm để đưa một CTCK 'mờ nhạt' vào top 2 thị trường", 2016.
- "Ngân hàng đầu tư - Hướng đi riêng của Techcom Securities", 2016.
- Minh comments on the outlook of Vietnam stock market with Bloomberg, October 2008.
- Minh’s interview with FBNC, September 2009.
- Doanh Nhân Cuối Tuần, "Mở rộng không gian tìm kiếm lợi nhuận cho nhà đầu tư", January 2009.
- Vietnam Economic Times, "Menacing Traits", January 2009.
- Financial Daily (Malaysia), "Vietnam to see 8% growth again, says fund manager", October 2009.