Niagara Falls State Park
American Falls is located in the park
|Location||Niagara Falls, New York|
|NRHP Reference #||66000555|
|Added to NRHP||October 15, 1966|
|Designated NHL||May 23, 1963|
Niagara Falls State Park is located in the City of Niagara Falls in Niagara County, New York. The park, recognized as the oldest state park in the United States, contains the American Falls, the Bridal Veil Falls, and a portion of the Canadian Falls, also known as the Horseshoe Falls.
Niagara Falls State Park is the oldest state park in the United States. In 1885, the Niagara appropriations bill was signed into law, creating the Niagara Reservation. New York State Assemblyman Thomas Vincent Welch figured prominently in getting the bill signed, and served as the first Superintendent of the Park for 18 years from its inception until 1903.
In addition to facilitating views of the American Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and the Canadian Falls, the park overlooks the Niagara Gorge and allows access to the Maid of the Mist tour boats, Cave of the Winds, Goat Island, the Prospect Point Park observation tower, a statue of Nikola Tesla, and the IMAX movie Niagara: Miracles, Myths and Magic which is shown at the Niagara Adventure Theater.
The park also offers a museum, food concession, a movie theater, a gift shop, fireworks, hiking and nature trails, picnic tables, recreation programs, and fishing. The Top of the Falls Restaurant, located on Goat Island overlooking the Horseshoe Falls, is also available within the park.
|This section does not cite any sources. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Niagara Falls offers visitors a guest pass that allows them entrance into several attractions at a smaller price. The ticket provides admission to the Cave of the Winds, Maid of the Mist, the Niagara Adventure Theater, The Niagara Gorge Discovery Center, Aquarium of Niagara and the Niagara Scenic Trolley. The ticket also provides discounts for other nearby attractions, including Fort Niagara, Artpark, Frank Lloyd Wright’s Darwin D. Martin House complex, Lockport Locks and Erie Canal Cruises, Niagara Wax Museum of History, and the Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls USA.
- Staff (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Niagara Reservation". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. 2007-09-17.
- New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Niagara Falls State Park". Retrieved October 30, 2015.
- Richard Greenwood (January 16, 1976). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Niagara Reservation" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved 2009-06-22. and PDF (477 KB)
- "History and Culture". Niagara Falls National Heritage Area. National Park Service. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Niagara Falls State Park Named to Today Show's List of America's Beautiful Spots". readMedia.com. July 12, 2007. Retrieved October 30, 2015.
- Hufnagel, James (July 17, 2012). "Top of the Falls Dining Experience Falls Short". Niagara Falls Reporter. Retrieved October 30, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Niagara Falls State Park.|
- New York State Parks: Niagara Falls State Park
- Niagara Falls State Park
- The Best Planned City, an online film about Frederick Law Olmsted that includes his work on the Niagara Park