Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
Fulton was born in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom and attended Portora Royal School and Queen's University Belfast. He lives in Australia with his partner and their three children.
Nial Fulton is an award winning producer and writer. His films have been recognised with major awards and nominations in Australia and internationally.
Nial worked extensively with the Irish Film Board and Northern Ireland Screen on a diverse range of co-productions, features and television drama. After moving to Australia, Nial worked with some of the countries leading producers, developing and producing a diverse slate of international productions for major international broadcasters, including BBC, Channel 4, ABC, RTÉ, National Geographic Channel, Discovery Channel, ARTE, France 5, SBS, Nine and Ten.
In 2008 Nial produced and co-wrote the Irish/Australian drama The Last Confession of Alexander Pearce, which was nominated Best Drama at the 2010 Rose d’Or Festival, the 2009 Irish Film & Television Awards and the 2009 Australian Film Institute Awards, won at the 2009 Inside Film Awards and has screened and won awards at film festivals around the world.
Nial also developed and produced the 2009 AFI Award winning documentary Solo with Jen Peedom. In 2010, Nial series produced and wrote the Logie nominated series Miracles for National Geographic, France 5 and ABC, shot on location in Laos, Thailand, New Zealand and Australia.
In 2013, Nial joined forces with film-maker Ivan O'Mahoney to create In Films, a Sydney-based production company specialising in high-end documentary and fact based drama. The first commission, The Outlaw Michael Howe screened on ABC1 in December 2013.
In Films was commissioned to produce the first original documentary series for Al Jazeera America, called Borderland. The series tells the story of three immigrants who died crossing the US-Mexico border and premieres in the United States in April 2014.
- Borderland (2014) (executive producer / series producer / writer)
- The Outlaw Michael Howe (2012) (producer / writer)
- Miracles (2010) (series producer / writer)
- The Last Confession of Alexander Pearce (2009) (producer / writer)
- Solo (2009) (producer)
- Ten Pound Poms (2008) (producer)
- Miracle on Everest (2008) (line producer)
- Policing The Pacific (2007) (producer)
- The Bridge (2007) (line producer)
- The Catalpa Rescue (2007) (line producer)
- The Choir (2007) (line producer)
- Is Your House Killing You (2007) (supervising producer)
- Rose d'Or
- Crossroads Film Festival Mississippi
- Winner Best Narrative Feature
- European Independent Film Festival Paris 2010
- Winner Best Non-European Dramatic Feature
- Irish Film and Television Awards
- AFI Awards
- Inside Film Awards
- Rome International Film Festival 2009
- Nominated Best Feature
- Newport International Film Festival 2009
- Special Jury Prize
- Tregor International Film Festival - France 2009
- Winner Best Film (Under 60mins)