Niall Ó Brolcháin
Niall Ó Brolcháin
24 November 2009 – 11 April 2011
|Mayor of Galway|
19 June 2006 – 19 June 2007
|Preceded by||Brian Walsh|
|Succeeded by||Tom Costello|
|Born||14 April 1965|
|Political party||Green Party|
Niall Ó Brolcháin (Irish pronunciation: [ˈn̠ʲiəl̪ˠ oː ˈbˠɾˠɔl̪ˠxaːnʲ]; born 14 April 1965) is a former Irish Green Party politician who served as a Senator for the Agricultural Panel from December 2009 to April 2011. He served as Mayor of Galway from 2006 to 2007.
Galway City Council
He worked on various campaigns ranging from Quality Bus Corridors to better sewage treatment and waste management facilities. He has worked on many local committees including the city's Economic Development Group and Environment Strategic Policy Committee, and became Galway's first Green Party Mayor in June 2006. He opened the Galway City Museum to the public. He is a campaigner for the Western Railway Corridor, Light rail for Galway and water quality issues.
Prior to his campaign for City Council, he ran for Dáil Éireann in the Galway West constituency at the 2002 general election receiving 4.4% (2,193 votes) of the vote but was not elected. In February 2005, he was nominated as Galway West's Green Party candidate for the 2007 general election, but he failed to be elected getting 5.5% (3,026 votes) of the vote.
He failed to get elected by just 26 votes in another cliffhanger in the new 5 seat electoral area of Galway City West in what was a very poor election for the Green Party nationally. He got 8.0% (706 votes) of the vote.
He was elected to the Seanad as a Senator for the Agricultural Panel on 14 December 2009 in a by-election caused by Alan Kelly's election to the European Parliament. Ó Brolchain was nominated as the Green Party candidate and received the backing of coalition partners, Fianna Fáil. The electorate consisted of members of the Dáil and Seanad. He won 119 votes out of 205.
He lost his seat at the 2011 Seanad election.
- "Niall Ó Brolcháin". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 21 December 2009.
- "Niall Ó Brolcháin". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 18 November 2009.
- "Elections 2009 – Local Elections – Galway City West". RTÉ News. June 2009. Archived from the original on 13 July 2009. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- "Ex-Green mayor wins Seanad seat". The Irish Times. 14 December 2009. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- "Niall O Brolchain". Insight Centre for Data Analytics. Archived from the original on 16 March 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2018.