Nicholas Alexander, 7th Earl of Caledon
The Earl of Caledon
|Born||6 May 1955|
(m. 1979; div. 1985)
(m. 1989; div. bef. 2008)
|Parent(s)||The 6th Earl of Caledon|
Anne Louise, Freiin de Graevenitz
Nicholas James Alexander, 7th Earl of Caledon, The 6th Earl of Caledon (1920-1980) and Anne Louise, Freiin de Graevenitz (1927-1963; an heir through her paternal grandmother to the von Siemens fortune).[a](born 6 May 1955), is the son of
Marriages and children
Caledon married, firstly, Wendy Catherine Coumantaros, daughter of Spiro Nicholas Coumantaros, a shipping magnate, on 15 November 1979 (King Konstantínos II of the Hellenes was the best man). They were divorced in 1985 without any issue; his first wife uses the style Wendy, Countess of Caledon.
He married, secondly, on 19 December 1989, the interior designer Henrietta Mary Alison Newman, daughter of John Francis Newman, himself a son of Sir Cecil Newman, 2nd Bt., and they had issue:
- Frederick James Alexander, Viscount Alexander (born 15 October 1990)
- Lady Leonora Jane Alexander (born 26 May 1993)
In November 2007, Caledon announced his engagement to Amanda Cayzer, former wife of The Hon. Charles William Cayzer (born 1957), second son of Herbert Robin Cayzer, 2nd Baron Rotherwick, by whom she has two children. They were married on 2 February 2008. His second ex-wife is now known as Henrietta, Countess of Caledon, and his third wife Amanda is now the Countess of Caledon.
Heirs in remainder to the earldom
The Earl's only son, Viscount Alexander (b. 1990), is his heir apparent, followed by the Earl Alexander of Tunis and several elder cousins who are in remainder to the earldom created in 1801 for the 'nabob' James Alexander, an Ulster-Scot who rose in a matter of decades from an East India Company clerk to an earldom in the Peerage of Ireland.
Caledon has two siblings:
- Lady Tana Focke (born 1945), originally named Cayetana for her godmother Cayetana, Duchess of Alba. Lady Tana, a successful fund-manager, is the Earl's elder half-sister by his father's first marriage to Ghislaine Dresselhuys, later Lady Foley. Tana is married to His Honour Paul Focke, and has issue.
- Lady (Elizabeth) Jane Alexander, his younger sister (born 1962), who has been married three times. She was married to a medical doctor, John Fitzroy Gillespie MBE JP DL. Lady Jane trained racehorses and died in 2017.
- Anne Louise de Graevenitz (1927–1963) was the only daughter of Baron Nikolai Werner Alexander von Graevenitz (1902–1929), himself the fifth and youngest child and third and youngest son of Baron Georg Ludwig von Graevenitz (1857–1939) by his wife Marie Elisabeth Agnes von Siemens (1860–1939), herself the younger daughter of Karl Heinrich Siemens (1829–1906), ennobled as "von Siemens" in 1895. This Karl Heinrich Siemens was the tenth child and eighth son of Christian Ferdinand Siemens, and younger brother of the electronics magnate Ernst Werner Siemens (1816–1892), ennobled as "von Siemens" in 1888. While the Earl of Caledon is certainly a Siemens descendant, it is not clear that his wife was a Siemens co-heiress, as claimed.
- Hein Bruins (29 November 2012). "Descendants of Christian Ferdinand Siemens and Eleonore Deichmann". Archived from the original on 8 November 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- "No. 61092". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2014. p. N4.
- "Lady Foley (Obituary)". Daily Telegraph. 23 August 2001. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- Barry Noonan. "A Continuation of the Marquis de Ruvigny's The Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal". DESCENDANTS OF EDWARD III. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
| Lord Lieutenant of Armagh
|Peerage of Ireland|
| Earl of Caledon